Why become a member? ×

Phantom Power Question

offmybass

Hi, quite new to recording at home with anything more than 1 mic so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, a condenser mic and the DI output from a Fender Downtown Express. The mic and DI are both connected with XLR cables. 

My question is if I switch the 48v phantom power on while the Downtown Express is connected will I fry the pedal?

If the DI in the pedal is uses an isolation transformer, then you won't fry it as the DC won't transmit through the transformer to the pedal. 

Might be worth browsing this article on DI's it refers to stage DI's but the principle is the important thing. I just looked up the pedal pdf on line and it does not mention much about the DI but since it has a psu i guess it's an active DI. Maybe a recording guru will enlighten on the best line of action.

Prepare to DI! (soundonsound.com)

Edited by jazzyvee

Some DI pedals can be powered over 48v, but not your's by the look of the spec.

I'd always advise turning 48v off before plugging or unplugging anything, as plugging a mic into a live 48v feed can cause some nasty bumps and bangs.

It's not certain that it will affect the Fender box, but why risk it?

look at the current draw of the Fender Downtown pedal too - it's not just about the voltage.

If the Downtown tries to pull too much current from the phantom power then it can damage the mixer.

The manual doesn't mention phantom power anywhere - it just labels the XLR as an output, and the specs in the back just mention 9vdc 400mA barrel adaptor, so I reckon you're good.

Edited by paul_5

I'm sure your pedal would cope fine with phantom power being applied to it; all modern equipment does, unless designed by a lunatic.

My personal rule is that any equipment that would be killed by the application of phantom power should be killed by the application of phantom power. 🙂
(With very rare exceptions for vintage ribbon mics)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, paulbuzz said:

I'm sure your pedal would cope fine with phantom power being applied to it; all modern equipment does, unless designed by a lunatic.

My personal rule is that any equipment that would be killed by the application of phantom power should be killed by the application of phantom power. 🙂
(With very rare exceptions for vintage ribbon mics)

This is why you turn the damn thing off as a habit before you plug/unplug anything.... Nothing worse than having your Coles ribbons fried by some lazy-arsed engineer who didn't check the 48v status.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm yet to press the button with the pedal connected as don't really want to risk frying it so have gone for the safer option of a different coloured XLR lead to my condenser mics and just switching between what i need to use at the time, the few seconds it takes to switch leads is probably better than a dead pedal and burned floor... The temptation will remain though 😅

• Like 1