Why become a member? ×

Wal MK1 Fretless 1983. W2082
£5995
U.K

Jason Karloff

17 minutes ago, Nicolas Celini said:

I'm interested. I've just signed up here specifically, as someone posted link on 'Wal bass lovers of the world...' facebook page. Is it listed on ebay or reverb or what? How can we proceed? I'm in Glasgow area.

I would click on the seller's profile and send him a private message. Good luck to you both

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicolas Celini said:

I'm interested. I've just signed up here specifically, as someone posted link on 'Wal bass lovers of the world...'

Basschat is a hive of Wal bass players and some people play others brands. Yes it’s (written in the Metallica bible) sad but true. 
Glad to have you aboard, tell your friends 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2022 at 18:23, Nicolas Celini said:

I'm interested. I've just signed up here specifically, as someone posted link on 'Wal bass lovers of the world...' facebook page. Is it listed on ebay or reverb or what? How can we proceed? I'm in Glasgow area.

Last time I was in that group, some members used to get very upset with me when I claimed that many Wal owners were greedy profiteering gits for trying to sell their Wal's to other members for £10k+ when they bought them for less than half that a short time before...a group full of interesting people, nice basses but perhaps not so nice community spirit.

Hope you grab this one for a decent price and hang around :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Last time I was in that group, some members used to get very upset with me when I claimed that many Wal owners were greedy profiteering gits

Yes, it's true!  To an extent.  There are collectors hogging multiple basses who really want them to appreciate.  Also folk who spent $1000s on a new every option dream bass who are really scared values will fall and tend to talk up 2nd hand prices; so when someone does sell they price high.  This behaviour has inflated prices and sucked in flippers which just makes things worse.

Here is a fine example.  They bought this bass for £520 at auction.  Now want £7000 for it ...AND IT ISNT EVEN A REAL WAL ( apart from the neck).  They also have a genuine pro1 they got in the same auction for £2600 (fair price maybe) and now want £10,000 for.

https://www.essexrecordingstudios.com/products/1979-wal-pro-bass-rare-plain-face-earliest-example-frets-removed-to-play-fretless

Shysters.

Without wishing to pull a sales thread further into a discussion of Wal pricing, this beautiful bass could be a very useful hedge with respect to a couple of years of relatively high inflation.

Onto topic, it appears that Paul has performed a wonderful restoration job - is it possible to source original Wal knobs to complete the 'new' look?  Given it's a genuine Wal, Paul may be willing to supply these to a verified purchaser, though I suspect it's an expensive addition.  A very lovely bass from an excellent period (IMO) of Wal's history - I'm rather surprised that this wasn't snapped up within 24 hours

If anyone desires to put new knobs on it they can of course but when I spoke to Paul about this in December he said there were currently problems with availability. So if anyone wants to go down that route then they would have to wait a little while for them to be delivered. 

I can't image the price of a few knobs is going to be significant somehow. 

In terms of the pricing of Wal's in general, don't worry I'm well aware that people are selling them for what I  think is crazy money. Or at least trying to sell them for crazy money. 

That's why this one isn't crazy money. 

I'm selling it for what I think it's worth. 

I'm not selling it for where other people think the market is currently at. 

Edited by Jason Karloff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was in Paul's cow shed a bit ago. They hold limited spares, ordering in parts specifically for basses they're building ... I needed a new bridge height adjuster and he did have a bag of those due to minimum order quantities, but insisted on fiting it himself.  Didnt see spare knobs hanging about.  You could get them re anodised I guess.

To quote Mr Herman "it won't change the sound"

Edited by NickA