Why become a member? ×

Quick pedal signal chain ordering question

Clarky

Hi all I am setting up a mini pedal board with 4 pedals for upcoming blues/rock gigs:

Broughton SV Preamp

TC Spectracomp compressor

TC Mojomojo overdrive

Korg Pitchblack tuner

Which order would you recommend these in the signal chain? Especially thinking of compressor (first?) and the overdrive (I want to set the SVP as core tone and use Mojomojo if I need to drive harder during songs).

Thanks and sorry for numptiness

Edited by Clarky

• Clarky changed the title to Quick pedal signal chain ordering question

Well someone needs to disagree, and that would be me. 😂

I use a compressor to tame my famously agricultural playing style (a trait that I can't imagine @Thunderbird or @Doddy suffer from) so I run

Tuner --> Compressor --> Drive

If I had a preamp on my board (which I don't) I imagine that I'd put it before the Drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only real answer to this is swap them around until you find what you like.  

Even then, there’s nothing wrong with changing it up every so often.  
If you are DI’ing from your preamp, I’d be tempted to go:

tuner

comp

OD

preamp

Edited by garyt
  • Thanks 1

Tuner (Mute) > Compressor (Regulate) > Pre (EQ and Shape) > Overdrive (Extra Push)... i would imagine would be the normal.

But try the Compressor after the Drive can give a different 'cut' to the notes...

Similarly Drive in front of a Pre can push a change in dynamic and tone texture... but these may be more a one-off type use thing.

Same as placing a delay, often at the end, repeats are the same... Delay before say Modulation, Chorus, Phaser or Flanger... means the repeats 'move'...

EDIT: Good point on the above in regard to DI... and / or an amp.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

I would personally go..

Tuner > compressor > drive > preamp 

My thinking is... The preamp is kinda like the "amp" sound (in this case the SVT). So then you can have the drive Infront of the "amp" slightly hitting it a little bit more so you get a little extra breakup from the SVP. 

Then personally I just find having the compression before the drive gives a more controlled tone and you can then give the drive a little extra slight bump too.

That's just me and the way it's worked for me for years. I actually have the SVP and did some remote session stuff over the lockdown and had the billy Sheehan deluxe running Into the SVP into the darkglaas element cab SIM and it sounds glorious!! 😬

• Thanks 1