Why become a member? ×

NPD

Bunion

I was contacted discreetly the other day by a person dealing in high end contraband after he was tipped off by Someone who shall remain anonymous. 
the message read:

“Hey man, I have an almost brand new Noble if you’re still looking?”

“Moi? I am clean, I’ve no money, I’m not a user, how much is it (asking for a friend) well maybe just a taste, you make a valid argument, I’ll take it!!”
So after a 6 hour round trip that deprived my blonde haired blue eyed children of their piggy banks I am now a proud user of a Noble preamp. 
524CD362-B13D-429A-82BE-2182F41AC957.thumb.jpeg.512bb096231ca4c689f82212a2b1a1da.jpeg

I use all valve amps, what could this thing possibly bring to the table? 
Well actually a lot!! 
I’m shocked, I’m astounded, I’m agog and let’s face it who uses that word anymore? 
I have been thinking about thinning the herd of valve amps I have and going clean, but I couldn’t quite get off the next fix of pure tube growl.  
well, there’s a new sheriff  in town and his name is Noble! 
The stingray, the Wal, the modulus sound amazing through this pedal (is it a pedal or a box that fits on a pedal board?) with roundwound strings.

The star of the show though, the biggest fix of the last day or two has been the Musicman Cutlass with the (oh shite, did I say that out loud?) TI jazz flats… 

It’s creamy, it’s rich, it sounds like my fingers are dribbling over the frets and leaving them purring! 

This box/pedal/thing has bought the decision to a head and the tube amps are going to be culled, I’m giving up, going cold turkey. 
well maybe not cold turkey while I have a Noble fix. 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 11

I wanted one too but I put it off due to one the price and two I couldn’t try one out first.

I finally got the cash together and thought what the hell I can re sell for no loss. 

It doesn’t disappoint. 

• 5 months later...

As a fellow Noble fan, I'm curious as to what you like about the combination with your active basses.  I primarily like my Noble with old school fender passive pickups (having listened to Tim Lefevre).  I also discovered it works well in combination with a compressor, but I find my Wal and Musicman pretty overpowering in combination.   Any advise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I find my Wal and Musicman pretty overpowering in combination.   Any advise?

I use a MusicMan HH into it and love how crisp it is. That said, it goes through a buffer and a mains compressor beforehand too so maybe that makes a difference?

On 03/01/2022 at 21:21, Bunion said:

So after a 6 hour round trip that deprived my blonde haired blue eyed children of their piggy banks I am now a proud user of a Noble preamp. 

Congratulations! Please keep us updated as to how you get on with it. Well done on avoiding the wait too!

I’ve had it a good few months now and I’m still loving it. 
Passive like my 63 P or cutlass I use the bass to around 11 o’clock and treble around 9 0’clock I keep the low cut switch off volume I keep to around 12 

For active I use the cut switch and dime the bass, treble to suit

it makes everything sound rich and creamy. 
It has enough output to drive my power amp from the 1/4” out but if I’m feeling a little cheeky I run it into the fx return of my Handbox wb100 and it’s just perfect.

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 3

Interesting.  I have a Handbox R400, where I assumed the pre-amp stage did much the same job as the Noble, so I plug either my Wal or my Fender straight in.  I tend to use the Noble as a front end to my Phil Jones (the combination is absolutely brilliant, but not as loud as the Handbox) or my Mesa D800+ (which got rather sidelined by the Handbox!)

I've had mine a few months, bought mainly for recording, but I've used it live too. Just passive basses, 2 Precisions and a Jazz. It really is fantastic for recording, just plug straight into the desk and compress on mix down, it's just there. It even makes my Dano Longhorn sound expensive. The eq is great, and surprisingly versatile for a 2 band. Live, I've used the high pass with bass dialled back in a bit to 8 or 9 o'clock, treble at 12, through an MB III set flat (effects return on these doesn't bypass the amp's eq). I've also used it for recording a Rhodes, it really brings it alive and gives it a bit of air. All in all a fab bit of kit, and better than money in the bank in current conditions.

• Like 2