Why become a member? ×

When you hear a song and KNOW who the bass player is due to the sound...

merello

13 hours ago, joeystrange said:

Jerry Only. Nobody sounds like Jerry Only.

That's probably for the best. I love Misfits but Jerry's bass (not his playing) sounds bloody awful.

I'd say Lemmy has to be one of the most distinctive, Rickenbacker through marshall guitar amps played as a rhythm guitar is never going to sound like everyone else.

Flea is quite distinctive. I'm no Chilli Peppers fan but instantly recognised his bass sound on Alanis Morissette's songs. He just has a really distinctive style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

Most of the players mentioned are recognisable because of their bands too.  You're not going to really hear Geddy outside of Rush.

What about the guys like Nathan East, Will Lee, Anthony Jackson, and Marcus Miller? All have their own sound that you can hear with a wide variety of artists.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. If you heard Steve Harris playing on someone else's recording you would think that guy sounds like Steve Harris, you wouldn't think oh, that's Steve Harris playing on someones record. Same with any number of players. I agree many players have a distinct sound and style but they are not always recognisable immediately out with the context of their bands.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

If you heard Steve Harris playing on someone else's recording you would think that guy sounds like Steve Harris, you wouldn't think oh, that's Steve Harris playing on someones record. Same with any number of players. I agree many players have a distinct sound and style but they are not always recognisable immediately out with the context of their bands.

Another thing with players such as Harris. What we think of as the Harris style, he may think of as just the Maiden style..  and play differently in a different context.

These players may actively want to get away from their ‘day job’ style.

Edited by Nail Soup

4 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Out of context with the artist/song, I wouldn’t have a clue. I’m impressed that anyone could. 

Ditto.

I've never heard of half these people, let alone heard and know how they sound.

If I could recognise anyone it would be guesswork based on other factors, e.g. the song, the band, etc.

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd say Lemmy has to be one of the most distinctive, Rickenbacker through marshall guitar amps played as a rhythm guitar is never going to sound like everyone else.

Lemmy didn't use guitar amps, he used the Marshall Superbass. Admittedly it's an amp more beloved of guitarists than bassists!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Lemmy didn't use guitar amps, he used the Marshall Superbass. Admittedly it's an amp more beloved of guitarists than bassists!

Marshall originally intended it as a bass amp but it was more commonly used as a guitar amp because it was closer to being a guitar amp. It was under powered as a bass amp and didn't sound like a bass amp.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Marshall originally intended it as a bass amp but it was more commonly used as a guitar amp because it was closer to being a guitar amp. It was under powered as a bass amp and didn't sound like a bass amp.

Indeed. I had one for a while... didn't cut it. Sold it to a guitarist 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outside of their most well known bands, I wouldn't have a clue who was playing on any particular track. Billy Sheehan plays on a Richie Kotzen track called Locked Out, the only reason I know that is because I read the sleeve notes, it doesn't sound very Sheehan. 

• Like 2

The obvious ones, Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Mick Karn...

Pino to a certain extent and John Giblin, although both will tune their sound to suit the artists work and are more recognisable by their playing style and phrasing.

On 04/01/2022 at 15:59, SteveXFR said:

I used one for a few years. I thought it was great, but it was stolen (I’ve had two). I played in an extremely loud metal band at the time and never found it underpowered. I guess it depends how loud you like to hear yourself; I like to be in the mix, not standing out from it. Still, Lemmy was my first influence and my main guys are the Squires and Entwistles of this world. 

Definitely Lemmy. I once identified Ace of Spades on a not-very-loud jukebox in a really loud pub via the very first note. 

17 minutes ago, JJTee said:

I would have also said Pino until I found out that it wasn’t him who played fretless on Elton John’s Nikita, but David Paton. Could’ve sworn it was Pino!

My view on Pino is that he had a very distinctive sound earlier in his career. It was clearly quite influential - the bass part on Nikita does sound quite like Pino to me too.

But since then, he's covered such a diverse range of genres and styles of playing that I think most bassists would often struggle to recognise his playing. Especially on many of the radio-friendly pop tracks he's appeared on. This is in no way a criticism - he's being hired to do a job and he clearly does it very well! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I guess the lower power isn't a problem if you want a dirty sound, it just won't do clean at a high volume. 

That was my issue. I was playing in a very loud thrash band at the time and to get the volume needed I was pushing the amp into distortion, and the only way to avoid farting was to cut the low end - instant Lemmy but not right for the band at the time. 

I often wonder if I was doing something wrong as I was playing through two custom Matamp 4x12s and still found the whole thing underpowered. Still, the guitar player I sold it to loved it.