Why become a member? ×

When you hear a song and KNOW who the bass player is due to the sound...

merello

Who qualifies?
Pino?
Geddy?

I was listening to Spirit of Radio and the bass sound is just so distinctively Geddy. You also hear disparate 80s tunes and immediately go "Oh...That's Pino playing for Henley/Collins/Clapton..."

Are there other examples of distinctive sounds?

Tame studio version...

Pino...
Live version....

(Danger - may be someone else copying Pino!)

2 hours ago, merello said:

Who qualifies?
Pino?
Geddy?

I was listening to Spirit of Radio and the bass sound is just so distinctively Geddy. You also hear disparate 80s tunes and immediately go "Oh...That's Pino playing for Henley/Collins/Clapton..."

Are there other examples of distinctive sounds?

Tame studio version...

Pino...
Live version....

(Danger - may be someone else copying Pino!)

I've always thought that the studio version of Spirit of Radio has a distinctly uncharacteristic Geddy tone, very clean and tight. Of course, the playing and notes give him away anyway.

Most of the players mentioned are recognisable because of their bands too.  You're not going to really hear Geddy outside of Rush.

What about the guys like Nathan East, Will Lee, Anthony Jackson, and Marcus Miller? All have their own sound that you can hear with a wide variety of artists.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

"Down in the Sewer" came on in the car once and I spent a good 3-4 minutes waiting for Jon Anderson to start singing so I could work out which Yes song it was.

Note to self: must listen to some Yes stuff in that case. 🤔

Put many of these bass players in the context of guesting on someone else's song and you probably wouldn't guess it's them. The only ones that come to mind are Peter Hook and Mark King. I used to have a 12" of an early 80s song by Leisure Process called  A Way You'll Never Be. Initially I thought it was a Level 42 song with a guest singer but it was the other way round.

Also some players don't always stick with the same tone. I mean J-J Burnel had a very distinctive tone on the first 4 albums but from then on as The Stranglers mellowed, so did his sound.

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Also some players don't always stick with the same tone. I mean J-J Burnel had a very distinctive tone on the first 4 albums but from then on as The Stranglers mellowed, so did his sound.

Good point.