Why become a member? ×

General question

Biscuit_Bass

Wasn't sure what to call this topic but here's my question...

When pressing the 5th fret on the G string I can hear in the background what I believe is the harmonic? It's the same sound I get if I lightly touch the same spot, but no matter how hard I press, i can still hear the harmonic coming through very faintly in the background.

I also seem to get quite a lot of background noise from the other strings even though I'm not touching them.

Is this a set up issue?

Many thanks.

36 minutes ago, Maude said:

Is this plugged in or acoustically? 

Plugged in.

7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Pluck the string the other side of the nut, is this the same sound?

Also, while fretted, pluck between where it's fretted and the nut. I think the sounds you're hearing are there.

Very similar to these sounds, yes. Is it just something that happens or does my bass need some adjustment?

41 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Pluck the string the other side of the nut, is this the same sound?

Also, while fretted, pluck between where it's fretted and the nut. I think the sounds you're hearing are there.

This is what I was thinking. It should be far more noticeable unplugged as the string both sides of fretted fret are unamplified. Once plugged in it shouldn't really be audible as the side you want to hear is being amplified and the unwanted side isn't. Although any vibrations in the string will get picked up to a degree. Perhaps try fretting more lightly as the harder you fret a string the more like a 'hammer on' it is, causing a note ring out without plucking the string. 

Also as you've mentioned the other strings ringing out it could all be to do with muting the strings. Unmuted strings will vibrate in sympathy to fretted strings causing noise to be heard through the pickup/amplifier. 

I'd say it's all to do with technique rather than a set up issue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biscuit_Bass said:

Wasn't sure what to call this topic but here's my question...

When pressing the 5th fret on the G string I can hear in the background what I believe is the harmonic? It's the same sound I get if I lightly touch the same spot, but no matter how hard I press, i can still hear the harmonic coming through very faintly in the background.

I also seem to get quite a lot of background noise from the other strings even though I'm not touching them.

Is this a set up issue?

Many thanks.

It would be a lot easier to diagnose if we could see and hear it. Yes, at the 5th fret there is a harmonic because it’s an exact subdivision (1/4) of the string length - any plucked stringed instrument will sound harmonics (basically overtones) in this way at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1/3 length etc. All stringed instruments, produce a sound that is a combination of the fundamental (the note you’re playing), plus several overtones. 
If you’re fretting and still hearing the harmonic it could be a technique thing, but if you’re sure the string is being pressed down with no fret buzz, and particularly given the location, it could be what’s known as a dead spot, which is a location where the fundamental sounds a lot quieter, so naturally the overtones appear much louder. 4 in a line headstocks and basses made with one piece (which may or may not have a separate piece for the fingerboard) tend to be more prone to this, but it’s possible on any wooden necked instrument and it’s often heard between frets 5-7 on the thinnest string.

The other possibility is the nut slot for that string has been cut too low, and the length of string from the nut to your finger is making a high-pitched sound, but given you can hear it through your amp I think we can rule this out (as Maude said).

These overtones also explain your second question. When you play one string, the other string(s) will sound in sympathy because of those same overtones. How much you hear depends on the note you’re playing and the depth in pitch of the “open” strings. A low E string (and especially a low B) can start vibrating, muddying your playing. The answer is to use a combination of the fretting and plucking hand/thumb/palm to mute open strings.

Edited by FDC484950