Why become a member? ×

Is Jeff berlin a brilliant salesman, or is the cort rithimic a great bass?

la bam

Hi all,

Watching loads of jeff berlin videos of him with his cort rithimic bass recently.

Now, I'm not a jazz type player, but the bass sounds great.

He compares it as the best bass since the 62 jazz - so ..... is it really better? Or is jeff a great salesman? Certainly has me interested.

I suspect it's got more to do with Jeff than the bass then anything. Put Jeff on most things and he would sound great, he's a killer player.

If you think about it, there's no reason why that bass shouldn't be quality. It's Cort - who make the cheaper range basses for lots of notable companies. It's a CNC bass, so it doesn't really matter where the machine is located, it's going to cut wood the same. Even if it's not playing great out of the factory (I think they are pretty good from what I'm aware of), a quick look over and fret dress by a decent luthier will get the thing playing amazing. I suspect Jeff's personal basses would have been subject to such predelivery attention.

That particular model bass comes with a nice set of Bartolini's on it... which is going to help more than most nameless pickups that appear in the competition.

And lets to forget, hardware wise, it's loaded with Hipshot (maybe the licensed ones, not too sure) and a Babicz bridge - so nothing shoddy on that front.

So yeah, its probably a step up from most jazz basses, especially at that price - just won't have the name on the headstock bragging rights or resale value.

• Like 5

Is it better? No.

Is it a great bass, as well as the jazz? I'm sure.

Jeff described it as the only bass you'll ever need, for all genres, but.... of course he wants to sell them, so he would say that. 

I fancied the 5er, but I've never been able to get the opportunity to try one.

I used to wonder the same thing about the Thundergun...a great bass in the hands of a great bassist.

Then, when I bought one, I realized it's a great bass that can make any bassist better.

Are you going to buy the Cort and see if the same thing applies to you?

Edited by jd56hawk

Bought 4 string Rithimic new, great build and beautiful neck. The Barts were pretty anaemic though, main reason I eventually moved it on. 

Could be wrong but thought the Jeff / Cort endorsement had ended, and new basses weren’t being built anymore.

Not sure Jeff is great salesman but he's a hell of a bass player - Bruford and Allan Holdsworth's 'Road Games' two highlights...

I still lust after his Peavey Palladium bass... Once on sale at the Bass Centre for £299! Gah! missed a bargain!

Saw him play his legendary precision with John McLaughlin at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Great show.

I’ve video reviewed this Cort bass and yes, the example I was sent was very good indeed. The current GB models such as the GB64 and GB74JJ are excellent. I’ve a GB75JH here which sounds a lot like a “real” MM too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Judging by how old this vid is,  would this be the Palladeum ?  Impressive tone, but Jeff could make anything sound good

No, that is a modified Fender Jeff used to use. Chris2112 will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a Fender P body with a J neck and Bartolini pickups, though the neck wasn't wired up if I recall.

It was stolen, Jeff can't remember where or when, but must have been some point in the mid 80s. The pickups were what Jeff and Bill Bartolini used to make the pickups for the Dean basses and the Rithimics, as IIRC, Bill still had the design documents for the pickups that were I'm Jeff's old Fender.

As to the OP's question, yes the Rithimic is a great bass. Cort don't have the brand power to charge big bucks, so they can build a nice bass with great hardware and it doesn't cost the earth. If you like Jeff's sound, you'll probably like the Rithimic.

Edited by Mastodon2
  • Like 2

I met Jeff in 96 or 97. Had a play on his Palladium (sp?) and it was set up for the lightest touch imaginable. I could not play it without a lot of clanking, and I'm not a hard player. I played a Rhythmic in a store recently and to tell the truth I thought the Peavey was better, but that's just me. Incidentally, Jeff is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I organised some SWR amplification for his tour (New Zealand) and saw two concerts and organised a workshop. Not only is he an absolute monster player, I was gob-smacked at the power and control of his playing, but he is a hell of a teacher too.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 13:48, Mastodon2 said:

No, that is a modified Fender Jeff used to use. Chris2112 will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a Fender P body with a J neck and Bartolini pickups, though the neck wasn't wired up if I recall.

It was stolen, Jeff can't remember where or when, but must have been some point in the mid 80s. The pickups were what Jeff and Bill Bartolini used to make the pickups for the Dean basses and the Rithimics, as IIRC, Bill still had the design documents for the pickups that were I'm Jeff's old Fender.

As to the OP's question, yes the Rithimic is a great bass. Cort don't have the brand power to charge big bucks, so they can build a nice bass with great hardware and it doesn't cost the earth. If you like Jeff's sound, you'll probably like the Rithimic.

It was (I believe) 1989 that the bass seen there was stolen. Jeff had played it whilst on tour in the UK with John McLaughlin through late 1988. By 1990 he had the first Palaedium. 

As for the Rithimic and Palaedium, I'm lucky enough to own both. Both are absolutely stunning instruments. Amazing tone, playability and balance from both. The Rithimic in particular is also a total featherweight. Jeff can make them do things that I can't but they have both taken my playing 40% higher. 

a18qm6W.jpeg

Edited by Chris2112
  • Like 2