Why become a member? ×

New Pedal - Bass Envelope Phaser

stewblack

IMG_20220102_163826.thumb.jpg.1b76bf0ecef83750ff3a9679441c48ab.jpg

It's an envelope filter into a phaser. Only two controls and a choice of upsweep or down.

It sounds absolutely amazing. I never knew an envelope needed a phaser. It's like going through life eating chips with neither salt nor vinegar on them.

What a revelation. Easily smashing its way into my top 3 ever pedals, the moment I tried it.

I do have a question however. The power socket is labelled 9 - 18v.  After literally minutes of extensive research, I found a video where Josh wotsit off JHS, said it made little or no difference which I used. He said some people claim it makes a difference, but really it doesn't. He wasn't on about this pedal mind you, just the whole 9 to 18v thing.

Now here's the thing. My pedal works beautifully with 18v, with 9v the light comes on but nobody's home, it doesn't affect the sound at all, with 12v nothing happens, the light doesn't even come on.

My question, in a nutshell, is this. What gives?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

IMG_20220102_163826.thumb.jpg.1b76bf0ecef83750ff3a9679441c48ab.jpg

It's an envelope filter into a phaser. Only two controls and a choice of upsweep or down.

It sounds absolutely amazing. I never knew an envelope needed a phaser. It's like going through life eating chips with neither salt nor vinegar on them.

What a revelation. Easily smashing its way into my top 3 ever pedals, the moment I tried it.

I do have a question however. The power socket is labelled 9 - 18v.  After literally minutes of extensive research, I found a video where Josh wotsit off JHS, said it made little or no difference which I used. He said some people claim it makes a difference, but really it doesn't. He wasn't on about this pedal mind you, just the whole 9 to 18v thing.

Now here's the thing. My pedal works beautifully with 18v, with 9v the light comes on but nobody's home, it doesn't affect the sound at all, with 12v nothing happens, the light doesn't even come on.

My question, in a nutshell, is this. What gives?

I have an Fulltone OCD that runs at 9-18v and I honestly can't hear the difference between the two. I saw that video and felt vindicated. I feel there's a lot of myth and magical thinking in the pedal world about components, vintage pedals etc etc. and it's good that someone like Josh Scott is *trying* to dispel the myths.

6 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I have an Fulltone OCD that runs at 9-18v and I honestly can't hear the difference between the two. I saw that video and felt vindicated. I feel there's a lot of myth and magical thinking in the pedal world about components, vintage pedals etc etc. and it's good that someone like Josh Scott is *trying* to dispel the myths.

He's a brilliant broadcaster, obviously a complete pedal geek, and by featuring all pedals not just his own, has produced a wonderful show.

I love his humour and the way he shares his knowledge. Not a half bad musician either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

He's a brilliant broadcaster, obviously a complete pedal geek, and by featuring all pedals not just his own, has produced a wonderful show.

I love his humour and the way he shares his knowledge. Not a half bad musician either.

Yeah, I love the show. The irony is, he hardly changes up his own pedalboard! 

• Like 1

The only weakness I can see is the lack of bass content. He did one show where the message was, stick a graphic after the pedal and boost the low end.

But surely the low end isn't there to be boosted if the guitar pedal has sucked it out 🤔

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

The only weakness I can see is the lack of bass content. He did one show where the message was, stick a graphic after the pedal and boost the low end.

But surely the low end isn't there to be boosted if the guitar pedal has sucked it out 🤔

I sometimes wonder if what's happening there is that the upper frequencies are so loud as to cause us to perceive the lower frequencies as quieter. The ear (bot the physical structure and the audio centres of the brain) pick up more on upper mid frequencies than anything else, cause that's roughly where human voices lie. Total theory and nothing to back it up mind!