Why become a member? ×

How I Employ Multi Effects

stewblack

IMG_20220102_155548.thumb.jpg.be0d3372ba2b6c1101290a87e925426c.jpg

I have tried to build different 'scenes' or 'boards' or 'presets', but it's a heck of a lot of work and counter intuitive to me. Balancing volume levels over a sets worth of such patches never works and takes me longer than playing the gig!

So this, to me, isn't a couple of multi effects it's a parallel effects board made up of 11 pedals. 

You count 12? Well, there is an envelope filter beneath the Boss LS2, it's in the FX loop of the Plethora, and the Byte synth is in an effects loop of the HX FX. 

By setting up as individual pedals I can see what's what, make adjustments quickly and easily, and just kick in what I need and when. It also leaves me free to improvise effect combinations as the fancy takes me.

I run the two in separate loops via the LS2, because it's quick and easy to balance the outputs of the two multi effects, and I love the way certain effects interact in parallel.

I also like others to run into each other so choosing what goes where has been fun.

Anyway, if like me you get frustrated with multi effects capable of reproducing hundreds of individual pedals, always thinking you ought to somehow use them all, I recommend this. Imagine it's a shop, choose the pedals you want, 'buy' them, set them up and enjoy them. Forget all the others until you fancy something new. Then enter the virtual shop and voila!

• Like 6

I get it! I'm not as extreme as you but my "one pedal solution" has become a pedal board! Here it is for the last gig but there's now a synth pedal ready to be added....

Like you I don't want to spend hours and hours programming instead of playing. That's why I use tweaked versions of the presets instead of setting up my own patches from scratch. I'm also thinking of adding a preamp pedal if I can find the right one.... 

IMG_20220103_144514.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I get it! I'm not as extreme as you but my "one pedal solution" has become a pedal board! Here it is for the last gig but there's now a synth pedal ready to be added....

Like you I don't want to spend hours and hours programming instead of playing. That's why I use tweaked versions of the presets instead of setting up my own patches from scratch. I'm also thinking of adding a preamp pedal if I can find the right one.... 

IMG_20220103_144514.jpg

Nice! I had the HX Stomp with the extra footswitch, but traded for the HX Effects. Poor eyesight made the tiny screen unreadable. I like to look down and see what each pedal is!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Nice! I had the HX Stomp with the extra footswitch, but traded for the HX Effects. Poor eyesight made the tiny screen unreadable. I like to look down and see what each pedal is!

Thinking of trading to the HX Effects and getting a pre amp pedal IF I can find one that sounds good and plays nicely with both passive and active basses.... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 14:49, uk_lefty said:

IMG_20220103_144514.jpg

It's getting worse....

IMG20220121203310.jpg

• Like 1

I've given up using a lot of effects for bass for the same reasons.  A Line 6 M5, Future Impact and FEA Labs comp is all I need...at least until Source Audio come out with a synth pedal that does better arpeggiation.

Guitar on the other hand is a nightmare.  There's so much to stay on top of with cable maintenance and power supplies - not helped by a few manufacturers using non standard power supplies (looking at you Effectrode).  When I eventually get back to the UK and shift the kit in storage over to where I live, I'm going to move to a rack based practice set up with multi effects.  

• Like 1