Why become a member? ×

Microphonic Mustang Pickup

King Tut

Anyone got a Squier CV Mustang? I've just picked a used one up. A pretty nice bass but the pickup is very microphonic. I've read of a few  cases like this online. Is it normal for them? Maybe a side effect of the pup being mounted on the scratch plate? I dunno? Any fixes? It doesn't look like they come apart easily so I don't think wax potting is going to be possible. If I replace them has anyone got any recommendations of what will drop in, I think they're a bit smaller than standard Mustang pups.

• 1 month later...

OK - no response to this, but for the benefit of anyone who has the same problem, I offer a solution. I took the bass to my Luthier for a set up and to look at the pickup. He's set it up lovely with TI Jazz flats. He told me the pickups are already potted but suggested the finger noise may be because the pickups were a really tight fit in the scratchplate. He told me that not only does this help the sound transmit from the scratchplate to the pickup, but also, squeezing the case onto the windings increases the pups microphonics. So he's filed out the pickup holes in the scratchplate and - hey presto - problem solved!

With regard the pickup, i really like the sound with the tone rolled off. Fully open it sounds kind of glassy which I'm not overly keen on, but pull a bit of top off and actually, I reckon it sounds ok!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

I had to clearance the pickguard on mine too so they floated freely and could easily adjust height, odd they don't get that right it must be obvious when the plate and pickups are mounted

To be fair, mine had an aftermarket plate on it when I received it, but I’ve seen so many reports of microphonic pups on these it makes me wonder if they’re all a tight fit!