Why become a member? ×

PJ Pickups - recommendations please

bassmansam

Now decided to go for some PJ pickups in my 5 string order

In terms of tone I'm not keen on anything too bright or harsh but solid lowend/mids with plenty of punch - modern as oppose to vintage (hopefully that makes sense). 

Although subjective I'll want something that can do a decent Slap tone too. 

I'll have a pre. Probably either an East or Bartolini. 

Been looking at Bart, Delano, Aguilar, Linda Fralin pickups but never owned a PJ so any advice welcomed. Thanks 😃

Edited by bassmansam

I have EMG's via a Glockenlang preamp in my Bass Collection 802 and I don't really like the sound of them, I think my stock Fender Precision Lyte sounds better, I have Bartolini pickups and preamp in my ESP Horizon and I think that sounds pants compared to my stock Yamaha 735a

I have Lindy Fralin's in a Precision and a Jazz, I do like what they bring to the mix, quite a squeezed tone, good punch whilst not sounding too far from the classic Fender tones

I had a Delano pickup and a John East preamp in a Sterling Ray34, it did little if anything to improve the tone over the original, it never sounded anywhere near as good as my stock USA Sub but then I never liked the Musicman sound so both got sold!

The only upgrade that I have been really impressed with was Nordestrand big blades and a Glockenlang preamp into a Spector Legend Custom which sounded utterly pants with the std EMG HZ 35's and stock preamp, it totally transformed the bass into something that can handle anything now!

I have been more impressed with what the likes of Tone Rider and Kent Armstrong can bring to an upgrade, they are not massive names but both have impressed me when going into Precision builds I have done and subsequently kept because they sound so good!

Edited by Roger2611
Updated information!
  • Thanks 1

You won't know whats best until its too late, and the bass is in your hand. Go with what the guy making the bass suggests then take the bass round the gear stores and see what amp and cabs sound best with the bass.

Just about everyone on this site has been here. It is a real lottery. Hope all the combinations line up for you. 

• Like 2