Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman 300 Pro

Count Bassie

Picking up Monday. Just ran into it, the timing was there.

It's been modded with an extra transformer, to handle the extra draw created by six Tung Sol KT-120 power tubes. That's a bigger tube than stock specs allow, but the mod brings it within tolerance.

I'm going to plug an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro into it, and run out of a Bag End-loaded SWR Big Ben (1x18).

Photos to follow, and hopefully some sound clips, because I'm pretty sure this is going to have been worth doing. This is how I'm starting the new year... This is novel indeed.

I'm pretty pumped.

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 2

These are superb amps.

My friend had the Sunn 300t (which I understand is identical) in the early 2000's.

It was undeniably impressive when I heard it and then he asked me to help move it....

Let us know what the up-rated power tubes through that 18" sound like (I'm guessing righteous)

12 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

These are superb amps.

My friend had the Sunn 300t (which I understand is identical) in the early 2000's.

It was undeniably impressive when I heard it and then he asked me to help move it....

Let us know what the up-rated power tubes through that 18" sound like (I'm guessing righteous)

I'll be Bach...

Lol, help move it... 

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No clips yet, and it's been busy around here so I'm very slow...

The amp sounds beautiful. I'll get descriptive next time, but the tube power is very impressive. Clean, deep, and details however you want them. There are some presets in the manual, and you can get a drop dead Felix Pappalardi/Jack Bruce out of it. Through the SWR Big Ben it's really shines.

I'm debating a Jensen loaded, re-hab'd 810, though it might be an awkward time for something that big.

IMG_20220109_190040013~2.jpg

• Like 3

On 01/01/2022 at 15:01, Woodwind said:

These are superb amps.

When I got the amp it came with the manual, and also with the Sunn 300T manual. The Sunn manual was a much better read: comprehensive, actual written text that was to be read by people using the amp. Friendly in tone and concise in content.

The Fender Bassman 300 Pro manual was like a mail-in in comparison.

The amp sounds effing gorgeous, and through the Bag End 18 is killer.

I think I said something like that already, but it bears repeating... A musician friend told me the other night that this is likely the most responsible thing I've done, for gear at least, ever. She may be right.

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 2

On 30/01/2022 at 12:46, Count Bassie said:

No clips yet, and it's been busy around here so I'm very slow...

The amp sounds beautiful. I'll get descriptive next time, but the tube power is very impressive. Clean, deep, and details however you want them. There are some presets in the manual, and you can get a drop dead Felix Pappalardi/Jack Bruce out of it. Through the SWR Big Ben it's really shines.

I'm debating a Jensen loaded, re-hab'd 810, though it might be an awkward time for something that big.

IMG_20220109_190040013~2.jpg

Wow! 🤩

• Like 1

I skipped the 810... It's really not a good time for having an 810. My little Toyota is a little little for that and the small house sized Fender head 😅.

I would love another Bag End loaded Big Ben however! But I'm able to be happy as is. Looking for a gig now, lol.

• Like 1