Why become a member? ×

Cry Wolf by Savage

Triumph_Rock

Hi guys and gals.

I've been asked to go for a jam with a metal band seeking a bassist. I've been asked to learn there original material which is going well. 

But they've also asked me to learn Cry Wolf by Savage.

I've searched everywhere but can't find any tab. Whilst I could try and take the song apart by ear, it would take me a long while.

So if anybody know of any tab that would be great 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Yeah thankfully the guitarist gave me roughly the key changes of the song. So I was then able to work it out by ear. Worked well. Have to say I'm listening to Savage's one and only album Loose and Lethal. Decent NWOBHM, think late 70's early 80's era. 

I really liked them and saw them many times at the Royal Standard in Walthamstow. That Loose and Lethal album is a bit of an undiscovered gem if you like the old NWOBHM stuff - absolutely stuffed full of great riffs. They're still about I think with Chris Bradley playing bass and singing.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

It’s good ear training to work things out without tab, they are useful for the small nuances you sometimes can’t hear in the mix but make a difference if they’re not there. 
I usually work out the bones of a track by ear then refer to tab if there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on, it’s certainly helped massively and does become easier with time. 
The one problem I get now is when I hear most music, I fade out the rest and just hear the bass line 

• Like 1

I was just thinking earlier about how I progress with learning tracks. I have up until the band I'm trying out for, learnt exclusively by tab. Thanks to this band I have realised my ears are more developed than I thought, and I am seeing that learning a track by ear is much quicker than learning by tab. So I thought I need to change the way I learn. So like you I thought I should be able to learn the bones of the tracks by ear, and look up the tricky bits by tab.

• Like 1