Why become a member? ×

Knobs for P Bass.

dave74200

Hi all,

I had to have the pots changed on my P bass but the original knobs won't fit, so the tech put some new ones on. They're slightly different, smaller and more rounded and I don't like them! Is there anywhere I can get original looking ones that will fit? How will I know they'll fit until I try them? May sound really petty but just feel these new ones spoil the look.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

I went through this with some Jazz Bass knobs and got it wrong, twice!

The first thing to establish is what are the pots you’ve had fitted. More specifically, the diameter of the shaft and are they solid or split shaft. If split shaft, how many splines? If you count the splines on each side you should add 1 per side to account for the spline which would have been where the gap is. Once you know the spec, it should be easier to find the right knobs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

Hi all,

I had to have the pots changed on my P bass but the original knobs won't fit, so the tech put some new ones on. They're slightly different, smaller and more rounded and I don't like them! Is there anywhere I can get original looking ones that will fit? How will I know they'll fit until I try them? May sound really petty but just feel these new ones spoil the look.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

The 'tech' is a knob then 😃

7 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

The ones on the bass are the new ones and the separate ones are the old. Sorry, I should've been more clear!! Thanks all. Very much appreciated.

Right then, those above will still be most likely be what you need.

Edited by pst62
  • Like 1

Use a caliper and simply measure the shaft as @Velarian suggested, it will be either metric (6 mm) or imperial (6.3 mm or 1/4 inch), then buy the ones corresponding.

If you prefer push-on knobs, then buy these.

That said if the original ones are already screw-on type, you can simply redrill them to 6.3 mm...

• Like 1