Why become a member? ×

Bonkers sheet music (TW swearing)

Sarah5string

On 06/01/2022 at 14:34, BigRedX said:

@lowdown Thanks that makes sense.

However for a score that contains the instruction "literally go flipping nuts" I doubt many people would be sight reading it and the notation is there to help the players track where they are in a piece when they play it from memory, rather than to read from scratch. 

You'd be surprised.

I know a few arrangers who will sometimes put instructions like that, or the odd 'humorous' remark on a chart that they know people are going to sight read.

55 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Do you know what piece this fragment of notation is actually from? I doubt it is from anything serious of the sort described above.

If you are talking about the chart in the OP, charts with remarks like that are quite common in Pantomime scores or Comedy shows. If it's not on the original printed chart, during rehearsals an MD

might ask you to pencil in a remark like that. I've seen things like that requested in manic, slapdash chase scenes on stage, where they might want an over the top (or wild) ad lib solo going on from one (or several) of the instruments.

9 minutes ago, lowdown said:

If you are talking about the chart in the OP, charts with remarks like that are quite common in Pantomime scores or Comedy shows. If it's not on the original printed chart, during rehearsals an MD

might ask you to pencil in a remark like that. I've seen things like that requested in manic, slapdash chase scenes on stage, where they might want an over the top (or wild) ad lib solo going on from one (or several) of the instruments.

Thanks. Every day is a school day!

When you "literally go flipping nuts" are you expected to remain in key?

It is said that the musos who play stuff by a certain successful (and rather wealthy) composer mark up the score if they recognise the ‘source’ of certain passages. Because he can be a bit of a plagiarist. Some scores have pencil all over them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...