Why become a member? ×

Bonkers sheet music (TW swearing)

Sarah5string

25 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Thought I'd ask you guys and see what gems you've spotted in sheet music.... for example, my personal favourites...

image.thumb.png.ceb195ae633383f9d7aa1d66a54ce91a.png

image.thumb.png.211f8991ca128e069d84d20b6d4fa693.png

What do you guys have?

I know of a couple of Conductors/MD's who would 'literally go fuc*%ng nuts' with the arranger or, engraving company, if presented with that last bar in a score they were working with...

:D

1.JPG

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

That's wonderful!

I especially like 'remove cattle from stage' and 'release the penguins'  😄

Source ???

Yes, there are some goodies there. 'light explosives now.....and.....now'. I can't remember where I got it but a search for 'faeries death waltz' will reveal all. Amazingly, there is at least one live performance (sort of)  of this on YouTube 🙂

Edited by pigface
Clarify.
  • Like 3

On 31/12/2021 at 21:05, lowdown said:

I know of a couple of Conductors/MD's who would 'literally go fuc*%ng nuts' with the arranger or, engraving company, if presented with that last bar in a score they were working with...

:D

1.JPG

I just sang that back to myself!! 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pigface said:

Yes, there are some goodies there. 'light explosives now.....and.....now'. I can't remember where I got it but a search for 'faeries death waltz' will reveal all. Amazingly, there is at least one live performance (sort of)  of this on YouTube 🙂

With the wildlife and explosives?

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

@lowdown for someone with only rudimentary knowledge of musical notation can you explain why that bar is a problem?

"To Beam or not to Beam".

It's not a problem as such, but a basic rule of thumb for clear and concise sight reading.

You shouldn't really 'Beam' across a beat (or a bar line) when arranging or copying.

When notes are not beamed across a beat, you can instantly recognise the beats in the bar.

Regarding Bar lines. If you place a beam across a bar line. You could lose the emphasis of the meter (time signature).

The bar in question, (or beat and a half on show that is) should read as below:

(I have filled out the rest of the bar as a guess)

Beam 3.JPG

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 3

@lowdown Thanks that makes sense.

However for a score that contains the instruction "literally go flipping nuts" I doubt many people would be sight reading it and the notation is there to help the players track where they are in a piece when they play it from memory, rather than to read from scratch. 

On 06/01/2022 at 14:34, BigRedX said:

However for a score that contains the instruction "literally go flipping nuts" I doubt many people would be sight reading it and the notation is there to help the players track where they are in a piece when they play it from memory, rather than to read from scratch. 

You can almost guarantee there would be an MD somewhere who insisted on it.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 14:34, BigRedX said:

Very little of the "classical" ensemble oeuvre is played from memory. When I say very little, I mean that I have literally never seen it. The nature of things is that there will be maybe 3 full rehearsals of 3 hours each (max, and that is a massive luxury) and then it is concert o'clock. There is simply no time to learn stuff like that. Pro players have fearsome sight reading skills. It is part of their training. 

Edited by Owen
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Same here. If only there was some system that just told us what fret/string to press down.

I get confused by the sharp/flat thing. Is it a B flat or an A sharp? No one really knows but you can guarantee whatever you call it is wrong.

On 06/01/2022 at 13:48, lowdown said:

"To Beam or not to Beam".

It's not a problem as such, but a basic rule of thumb for clear and concise sight reading.

You shouldn't really 'Beam' across a beat (or a bar line) when arranging or copying.

When notes are not beamed across a beat, you can instantly recognise the beats in the bar.

Regarding Bar lines. If you place a beam across a bar line. You could lose the emphasis of the meter (time signature).

The bar in question, (or beat and a half on show that is) should read as below:

(I have filled out the rest of the bar as a guess)

Beam 3.JPG

There are worse sins e.g. a dotted crotchet across the middle of a 4/4 bar, a minim starting on the second quaver of a beat - very difficult to process on the fly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I get confused by the sharp/flat thing. Is it a B flat or an A sharp? No one really knows but you can guarantee whatever you call it is wrong.

You could think about it as keeping the alphabet pure. You need to go letter by letter. If the note before it in the scale is an A then it would be a Bb. If the note before it was a G# then it would be an A#. If the note above it was a C then it would be a Bb. Reading a G# going to a Bb alphabet wise would suggest some kind of 3rd if you think about it on linear alphabet from. But we know it could not be any sort of 3rd cos there is only a tone between them. So the notes are named and notated in context with what is around them. It is a notation thing really. Notation is the least bad way we have. 

14 hours ago, Owen said:

Very little of the "classical" ensemble oeuvre is played from memory. When I say very little, I mean that I have literally never seen it. The nature of things is that there will be maybe 3 full rehearsals of 3 hours each (max, and that is a massive luxury) and then it is concert o'clock. There is simply no time to learn stuff like that. Pro players have fearsome sight reading skills. It is part of their training. 

Do you know what piece this fragment of notation is actually from? I doubt it is from anything serious of the sort described above.