Why become a member? ×

Ibanez 2022 range

Mikey D

I would say if you take the back panel off and run a file, or a sharp knife pointing the backwards round the edge of the panel, it will make that panel look better, it has the edges from where it was pressed out of something and not smoothed.

Obviously you shouldn't have to, and it is annoying that they dont do those last little tasks that make the difference, but they don't. Personally I always think it is a bit of a con on a bass that costs more than £500 that it doesn't have a colour matched panel on it!

Enjoy anyway, they are great basses, so light and comfortable to play. Mine sits to my right in my home office on the wall, so that when we are on a long boring, largely irrelevant to me teams meeting I have something to play!

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 12:10, Machines said:

Nothing drastic, just evolutions on previous instruments. The green SR looks interesting, but close up it looks like the bass a leprechaun would play:

4LLUTqqTrFFppEgDj8frrF-970-80.jpg

Additionally, the square end of the fretboard REALLY bothers me. They did such a nice job on the body end - why make it look so unfinished ?!

I absolutely adore the look of this bass but there are two issues I have with it. The first is it is not fretless and for me to need it to be fretless, it would need either a rosewood/ebony/pau ferro board. If it had those two things then I would be all over this.

As with most manufacturers it seem these days, the choice of fretless and unlined fretless is pretty much limited to non-existent. I get unlined fretless is not as popular but I wouldn't even mind paying extra if it was even an option. Oh well, more money in my pocket and a great cure for GAS :)

Edited by Linus27

24 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would say if you take the back panel off and run a file, or a sharp knife pointing the backwards round the edge of the panel, it will make that panel look better, it has the edges from where it was pressed out of something and not smoothed.

Obviously you shouldn't have to, and it is annoying that they dont do those last little tasks that make the difference, but they don't. Personally I always think it is a bit of a con on a bass that costs more than £500 that it doesn't have a colour matched panel on it!

Enjoy anyway, they are great basses, so light and comfortable to play. Mine sits to my right in my home office on the wall, so that when we are on a long boring, largely irrelevant to me teams meeting I have something to play!

Yeah it seems like a great Bass, and to be fair to it the negative points I listed were fairly minor mostly cosmetic perfectionist type things. 

I've got the same work from home setup - any meetings where I can get away with turning my camera off are Bass practice time. I once made the mistake of keeping my mic turned on though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I absolutely adore the look of this bass but there are two issues I have with it. The first is it is not fretless and for me to need it to be fretless, it would need either a rosewood/ebony/pau ferro board. If it had those two things then I would be all over this.

As with most manufacturers it seem these days, the choice of fretless and unlined fretless is pretty much limited to non-existent. I get unlined fretless is not as popular but I wouldn't even mind paying extra if it was even an option. Oh well, more money in my pocket and a great cure for GAS :)

What percentage of bassists have or play a fretless ? I would imagine it's <10%, if not much less. Ibanez do some specific fretless models, which I imagine they think covers that arena, but for every model to have a fretless option (produced in advance) may see a lot not sold.

23 minutes ago, Machines said:

What percentage of bassists have or play a fretless ? I would imagine it's <10%, if not much less. Ibanez do some specific fretless models, which I imagine they think covers that arena, but for every model to have a fretless option (produced in advance) may see a lot not sold.

No, I totally agree with you, I'm just frustrated that there are no options, even if it means paying £250 extra to get a fretless neck then so be it, we are a minority or small percentage who play fretless so if we have to pay then I am sure we would. Its not like they don't already make a fretless neck for the SR range so why not make a fretless neck available as an option for other SR basses even if its special order and you have to pay extra for it. I've already had to get a luthier to make me fretless necks for two of my basses and this would probably be my only option again if I wanted another fretless bass. I know I am totally in a minority, just a bit frustrated at the lack of options, especially as I have GAS for an Ibanez :)

Edited by Linus27

25 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I've already had to get a luthier to make me fretless necks for two of my basses and this would probably be my only option again if I wanted another fretless bass. 

I have one fretless bass. It came with frets 🛠️.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You could get one of the basses and get a replacement SR375EF neck, that should fit (I think that is the only normal SR fretless neck)

I think that neck is lined and I play unlined but it was a good idea, thank you.

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I think that neck is lined and I play unlined but it was a good idea, thank you.

Obviously there is the SRFF, whcih I used to have, which is a beautiful unlined neck, but its also neck through, so there would be a bit more work involved!

• Like 1