Why become a member? ×

Ibanez 2022 range

Mikey D

5 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I really like Ibanez gear but it seems there's an ever-decreasing amount to lust over

Hmm pretty sure this catalogue is the most comprehensive bass portfolio any manufacturer has ever offered - period.

• Like 1

I love how Ibanez (and several other Japanese instrument manufacturers) operate, continual evolution. They're not content to regurgitate the same old stuff year after year. There are some retro orientated instruments but they're continually pushing the range forward, keeping it contemporary. It's not for everyone, granted, but they stake everything on their instruments being modern and technologically up-to-date. It's a brave way to do business in a frequently backwards-looking and overly-sentimental industry. 

I'm gassing badly for a nice RG at the moment 🙂

• Like 1

I'm digging the multiscale BTB. Might have to try and get my hands on one of those and give it a try. 

Got to agree with Doctor J - we don't all want to play Fender-alikes. I don't necessarily like everything they make, but I'm so glad you've got big companies like Ibanez out there who are still innovating and at least attempting to keep things moving forward. 

• Like 2

I like me an Ibanez, although at the mo I only have guit*rs and a baritone, no bass. I'm pretending the EHB 1505 doesn't exist until either I'm rich or there are second hand ones around, but I reckon I will have one one day. I've always liked a headless since I had a Hohner The Jack, I love Nordy pickups and I like less than 19mm string spacing on a 5 string (17.5 on my jake, the EHB is 18 which will do just fine). Oh, and I like blue basses.

4 hours ago, visog said:

Hmm pretty sure this catalogue is the most comprehensive bass portfolio any manufacturer has ever offered - period.

I applaud them for providing such variety, but I'm personally finding less and less to get excited about. Given that the finishes in use on the artist signature models are essentially sunburst, black with red bevels, white, black, blue, red, amber, natural, and vintage burst, and all but one have either black or cosmo-black hardware, maybe it's not so unusual to want a premium bass in a more conventional finish.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, adamg67 said:

I love Nordy pickups and I like less than 19mm string spacing on a 5 string (17.5 on my jake, the EHB is 18 which will do just fine). Oh, and I like blue basses.

The EHB is adjustable. My EHB1505 is 17.5 which is about the widest spacing I can do!

• Like 1

I'm not wild about the finish on the BTB Multiscale, but may have to go and try one in the flesh when they're physically available.

There's an awful lot of bang for your buck there, and it's appeared at the exact moment my multiscale GAS has re-surfaced

1 hour ago, horrorshowbass said:

This is true, although their target audience seems to be the Dingwall/Darkglass crowd from the above video.

That BTB looks more versatile than that

Yeah, I'm really not into that Dingwall/Darkglass djent sound, but I do want a very clear and articulate sounding five string

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Yeah, I'm really not into that Dingwall/Darkglass djent sound, but I do want a very clear and articulate sounding five string

Based on my experience with Dingwalls, take away the Darkglass pedal and they don't actually sound all that much different. Just a bit less fuzzy! 

The clean tone of these Ibbys sounds pretty good, from what I can tell. There's a few segments of that video where the distortion is turned off. 

On 02/01/2022 at 22:42, adamg67 said:

I'm pretending the EHB 1505 doesn't exist until either I'm rich or there are second hand ones around

You and me both. They made a batch of lefties a couple months ago and I'm really lusting for one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

This is true, although their target audience seems to be the Dingwall/Darkglass crowd from the above video.

That BTB looks more versatile than that

The BTBs have always been really versatile. I used to use a 6 string for electric jazz gigs and things until I bought a 'better' 6. 

Ibanez are definitely aiming it at the modern metal crowd now though.

8 minutes ago, Doddy said:

The BTBs have always been really versatile. I used to use a 6 string for electric jazz gigs and things until I bought a 'better' 6. 

Ibanez are definitely aiming it at the modern metal crowd now though.

Yeah, I really like the look of the BTB, I love metal/prog etc but not the Djentlemen :)

Would love another lovely skinny neck SR with fan frets, they did one a few years back but those BH2 pickups are getting mixed reviews

19 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Yeah, I really like the look of the BTB, I love metal/prog etc but not the Djentlemen :)

Would love another lovely skinny neck SR with fan frets, they did one a few years back but those BH2 pickups are getting mixed reviews

Yep, those Barts are kinda weak-sounding for something that's ostensibly going to be largely used for downtuned metal. The Nordstrands or Aguilars they offer in other basses would have been a much better fit. 

I'd still love to see a BTB with the ATK pickup setup - the MM/J setup on those were the best pickups I've heard used on an Ibby. They also did a short-lived version a few years back with EMG 40DCs that had the whole Spector thing going on tonally. 

Edited by Russ

My biggest case of seller's remorse was an Ibanez BTB456, hell of a bass for the money (I got it second hand, can't remember the exact price but under £400 and that was from a dealer) but I had some wrist problems so it was probably best to stick to 5 strings max. The BTBs have always been massive bang for the buck.

15 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

That’s an awful lot of guitars and basses! I wonder if they will be able to sustain that level of production. Are there enough people out there to buy them all? I won’t be one of them.

I don't think this years catalogue is any kind of big jump for them in what they're offering. They seem to be fine with bringing out new models and keeping them if they work. Things like the SRC6 came and went, and there used to be a bigger range of the bass workshop basses like the BTB I think. 

On 01/01/2022 at 12:10, Machines said:

Nothing drastic, just evolutions on previous instruments. The green SR looks interesting, but close up it looks like the bass a leprechaun would play:

4LLUTqqTrFFppEgDj8frrF-970-80.jpg

Additionally, the square end of the fretboard REALLY bothers me. They did such a nice job on the body end - why make it look so unfinished ?!

Looks better in the flesh

14 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

That’s an awful lot of guitars and basses! I wonder if they will be able to sustain that level of production. Are there enough people out there to buy them all? I won’t be one of them.

I wondered that too. I sometimes get the feeling they’re trying too hard to be a jack of all trades rather than a master of a smaller number of product lines. I’ve owned a fair few Ibanez basses in my time and never kept one for long, mostly because I found the electronics uninspiring and the overall package often falls a little flat (e.g. the SR5006, which was very neck heavy, the B string was dull and the C string very scratchy, and the finish just looked and felt odd to me). At least they should be applauded for offering something a little different like the EHB range and short scale 5 string. I prefer something a little more special these days :)