Why become a member? ×

Ibanez 2022 range

Mikey D

Who will be the first to own one of these new ones?

https://issuu.com/ibanezgermany/docs/2022_ibanez_fullline_germany

I've been waiting to see the new EHBs personally.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/ibanez/ehb-series-basses

Most intriguing is the introduction of the 37 inch multiscale BTBs. The blue is quite fetching!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/ibanez/btb-series-basses

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 2

37" Ibby almost half the cost of a Dingwall NG.

So that's now a Spector and Ibby with distinctly more expensive build quality offering a 37" MS significantly cheaper than Dingwall. I live in hope my genre may yet get some originality back...

• Like 1

On paper those EHB’s are right up my street, headless, 5 & 6 string models, non fender traditional shape bodies and I’m 

not opposed to multi scales. They just don’t do it for me though, don’t like the shape, the colours or coffee table tops and I do appreciate natural woods.

The hunt continues.....

• Like 1

I know I've been guilty about moaning about the lack of innovation at the big players (and reliance on core models), here though it's the opposite.  Too much so.

That said, I skimmed through 100+ pages, got to the end of the bass stuff and frankly saw absolutely zero that appealled to me in the slightest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nothing drastic, just evolutions on previous instruments. The green SR looks interesting, but close up it looks like the bass a leprechaun would play:

4LLUTqqTrFFppEgDj8frrF-970-80.jpg

Additionally, the square end of the fretboard REALLY bothers me. They did such a nice job on the body end - why make it look so unfinished ?!

484473-Ibanez-BTB605MS-CEM-Headstock.jpg

Edited by Machines

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Nothing to risk my 2022 clean sheet there. Winner.

🤣

Me neither. 

The search for an EDA 905 and EDC 700/705 continues,  however. 

And maybe,  out of nostalgia, an SRX700..

Oh, and I like the look of the Reverend Dub King..

Or one of the MTD supers,

And anything else I may happen upon..

Ibanez are unlikely to get any money for a while unless they change direction.. except for a GWB or an SRF705.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

5 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Still, bit cheaper than a dingwall.

Wonder what the T1 pickups are based on....

A lot cheaper 🙂

But why oh WHY they insist on squaring off the end of the fretboard rather than following the nut is beyond me.  It just looks horrific.  When I had an SRMS, I bought a fretwrap for no other reason other than to cover it up 🤢

• Like 2

6 hours ago, visog said:

Thanks for the links Mikey. I've been hoping for new finishes on the EHBs. Here's a deep dive on the other new models: https://www.guitarworld.com/news/ibanez-sr-standard-sr-premium-btb-models

I was hoping for something exciting in the ehb range too. I'll likely just end up with a 1005sms now and at some point drop in Aguilars. 

I took delivery recently of a 5 string Mezzo, but that was technically just about in 2021.

I'm now GASing for a couple of those EHBs- the 4 string shorty, and the 5 string multi-scale (30-32") in particular.

I'd forgotten how much I love the ergonomics of ibanez basses. 

19 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

That fretboard is hideous. Seriously, how much would it cost them to chop the fingerboard off at the nut like everyone else?

Probably less than what it looks like they did, which is fix an additional wood laminate beyond the nut, as it's not a nut in a slot, it is at the end of the fretboard.

E46AFEFD-C5AC-4446-B748-F890EEF94F59.jpeg

Edited by Doctor J

Maybe I’m old fashioned, I don’t know but I find them all so bland, still think the musician and the roadster series’s with the 2x2 headstock’s were beautifully styled, amazing build quality and most importantly sounded and still sound brilliant to this day.I’m sure there would be a market for a re issue of some sort.The modern range is almost too much imo 

I really like Ibanez gear but it seems there's an ever-decreasing amount to lust over if you're looking for a 5er from the Premium range that doesn't have fanned frets, no frets, gold hardware, no headstock, a ramp, an f-hole, a pile-of-twigs-inspired artist inlay, wooden pickup covers or just a really weird finish. I wish they'd do a simple but classy SR Premium model in a couple of conventional finishes with Nordy breaks or singles, the usual preamp (but with dome knobs, not the cheap plastic things) and black or chrome hardware - surely that would require no additional parts, tooling or product development time on their part and appeal to enough people to be profitable.

Of course, then they'd also need to actually make some of them and get them over here so you could buy one without the opportunity to do so feeling like some kind of honour being bestowed, but that's another matter. As is the availability of spare parts given that a lot of their hardware is bespoke and there's a great online parts catalogue to tell you exactly what the code is for the thing you want... you just either can't find it, or can't have it delivered to this country. I digress.

An SR1305-SB was my recent birthday gift to myself, and I can't see much else in the '22 range that I'd be tempted to send for.

• Like 1