Why become a member? ×

Repurposed PA Speaker

Crawford13

So I was contemplating going the FRFR route with my HX Stomp. 

I have a garage full of passive PA speakers so I decided to grab one then use my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 as a power amp.

Now I have an FRFR rig with no outlay.

I may end up joining the 2022 gear abstaince challenge yet...

PXL_20211231_145251167.jpg

• Like 3

It would be good to know which PA speaker you used, that photo isn't very clear. I've wondered why more people haven't tried this, I just sold a couple of Yamaha S115IV's for £150 as part of a complete PA system. The bass drivers are OEM Eminence Delta Pro's and they also use Eminence compression drivers and have a decent crossover with built in protections for the drivers. Effectively that's a 15+horn for £75. Eveyone is unloading their passive speakers so they are really cheap if you buy used.  

Choose a PA speaker that can handle a decent amount of bass and it's a cheap way to try the FRFR experience, OK your bass amp may not be perfectly flat but if you don't like the sound you can move the speaker on for whatever you paid for it. I know that a few years ago even a budget Maplin Pro-Sound outperformed a number of bass speakers in a shootout.

• Like 1

It's a Peavey UL-12.  I'm pretty sure it has the Black Widow driver.  I am going in through the effects return on the Genz, so its pretty flat.

It has really helped me dial in my Helix tone, much better than my KRK Rokits as it has a recent size speaker.

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

I swapped my big rig out for a QSC K12.2 when I got my stomp, works as expected, although it does show up any limitations in your signal chain more than a traditional cab would.

This is very true, getting your amp models & IR's right is important.

• Like 1