Why become a member? ×

How do I find out value/rarity of old vinyl?

Maude

I've been left a couple of cases full of records. 

It's mostly 70s punk and 80s post punk, centred mainly around anything Sex Pistols/PiL related. 

I'm not sure I want to keep it but don't want to just give it away if there's something valuable lurking in amongst it. 

What's the best way of finding out what's rare and what's not? 

Several 12" singles as well, mainly PiL and Gaye Bikers 

Here's a sample of some of it. 

AAvdacu.jpeg

Picture discs, the GBOA one still has the poster and sticker inside, and is bright green, the sleeve is orange. 

sfQZLNK.jpeg

The punk collection has a little sticker next to the price sticker which says 'very rare'? 

12" white label PiL 'The Body'. 

bJOObZb.jpeg

Any ideas or help appreciated. 

🙂👍

Edited by Maude

I think the best way would be to sign up to Discogs and add them all to your collection by scanning the bar codes. Then for each one you’ll see the cheapest sale, most expensive sale and average sale price. That should give you a decent indication of what’s what.

Edited by joeystrange
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to try and sell them on Discogs, make 100% sure that you are listing the correct version. 

The sorts of people who buy on there (especially rare versions) will demand that sort of accuracy and won't be happy if you sell them the wrong version, even if it is a genuine mistake on your part. I speak from experience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

Just had a look on Discogs, the white label PiL one is in the wrong sleeve, I have the correct purple sleeve with a different 12" version in. It says £40/£50.

Exactly why I didn't want to just offload it all to a local record shop.

Thanks @joeystrange.

🙂👍

You’re welcome.

As BigRedX says, be careful if you’re selling on there. But if nothing else it’s useful to find a relatively accurate value if you want to sell elsewhere.

• Like 1

For vinyl, you will need to cross-check the barcode (if there is one) the catalogue number, the country of manufacture and possibly the run-off groove markings as well as the small print on the actual sleeve and labels, to try and narrow down which version you have.

I suspect that some of the Sex Pistols records are bootlegs, which is why they are not allowed for sale. It's a dodgy area. I've sold a couple of "unofficial" CDs, but they were "proper" glass-mastered versions rather than CDRs. The advent of bands doing short-run releases on CDR is problem area too, as many of them would be relatively trivial for an unscrupulous seller to duplicate if they were valuable enough to justify it.

My brother is a record dealer and does a lot of punk, post punk and new wave stuff. 

As the guys say here, condition is everything and record collectors are fastidious. Before listing it’s not enough to view the record you should also play it in its entirety to identify and scratches or skips. 

There are some really good and fair record dealers around. I’m happy to give a recommendation if you’re near Bristol. I’d only use Discogs to sell if you know what you’re doing otherwise it’s unfair on the buyer and you’ll reputation will be trashed very quickly.

• Like 1

I'll go through them when I've got a hour or two and get some rough idea of price from ebay/discogs. I'll probably try the more valuable ones on ebay first at a decent price, if not I'll do a few bundles on facebook marketplace. 

Unless anyone on here is a collector. I'll pay my subs first. 

I'm not looking to make a load of money as it feels quite horrible picking through someone's belongings to see what's worth money. But if I just give them away then sure as hell someone else will make a profit. 

It would be nice to find someone who would like them for themselves and do a sensible deal for both parties. Unfortunately I might make you take the Sigue Sigue Sputnik album that's in there as well. 😉

I've also got a load of old gramophone records that belonged to the dad of the chap who's left me the punk records. Heavy as hell and 10"(?) by the looks of it. Probably not worth anything but a shame to just ditch. 

I've just realised this is beginning to look like a for sale thread, it wasn't meant that way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2021 at 13:08, Maude said:

Here's a sample of some of it. 

AAvdacu.jpeg

Picture discs, the GBOA one still has the poster and sticker inside, and is bright green, the sleeve is orange. 

Any ideas or help appreciated. 

🙂👍

The Sid Sings album - I have a copy which I bought when it first came out. If the poster is inside and in good condition, and the roundel on the label has the guitar-neck swastika, it'll likely be a first release. That might push up the value. IIRC, the poster disappeared pretty quickly, along with the swastika - that was replaced with a blank roundel in later pressings. 

Although I aye thought that the title 'Sid Sings' violated the Trades Descriptions Act 😉

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

A quick update. 

A new chap has started at work who is a huge John Lydon fan/collector. 

His prized possession is an original Vivian Westwood/Seditionaries cheesecloth 'Destroy' shirt he had framed. 

He wants all the Sex Pistols/PiL records I've got so I've started properly researching. 

From the few I've looked up it seems that the owner was a collector of rare editions rather than just the actual music. 

Never Mind The Bollocks is a first UK pressing. No track listing on rear but 12 tracks on the disc, etched V2086 A-5 B-8 on runout. 

They couldn't decide on 11 or 12 tracks so Branson printed the sleeves with no track listing. 1000 were pressed as 11 track but then they decided to add Submission. Rather than waste the 1000 they added a poster and a single and sold them in France (I think, it's all very murky). Then the 12 track was released in the UK still using up the blank pink backed sleeves. 

I've looked up some others but only ebay pricing, usually ambitious at best. Special AKA, Too Much Too Young 7", first pressing on Two Tone £60.

Metallica, Master Of Puppets picture disc (pre barcode rear) £145 

Lots more to research but most seem to be first pressings on the original labels so a serious collection rather than just music he liked. 

Now I know this I need to look closer at the stuff like Michael Jackson and The Beatles that's in there. 

The Gaye Bikers On Acid picture disc has the original yellow shaped plastic sleeve, poster and sticker so will need looking into. Another has a banned cover. 

At least all the Pistols/PiL stuff can go to another fan which would've pleased Hunter, whose collection this was, as he had Anarchy in the UK played at his funeral. 

Edited by Maude

On 08/01/2022 at 22:07, lozkerr said:

The Sid Sings album - I have a copy which I bought when it first came out. If the poster is inside and in good condition, and the roundel on the label has the guitar-neck swastika, it'll likely be a first release. That might push up the value. IIRC, the poster disappeared pretty quickly, along with the swastika - that was replaced with a blank roundel in later pressings. 

Although I aye thought that the title 'Sid Sings' violated the Trades Descriptions Act 😉

Sid Sings is the swastika guitar neck label but sadly no poster inside. 

• Like 1