Why become a member? ×

lube.

robo1717

Several questions here !

Are you talking about your plucking fingers or your fretting fingers?

What sort of strings are on your bass - flatwound? roundwound?

Are the strings new?

Most bass players would actually choose to have dry-ish hands, as this keeps your fingertips a bit harder - having soft skin either through moisturising or having sweaty hands also means possibly ending up with more blisters and skin damage.

Having the ideal slightly thickened smooth skin on your fingertips takes a lot of playing time to develop nicely, and is something that can't be rushed. If you're developing blisters or worse then try and play for shorter periods until this is no longer an issue.

Just my opinions, others may have different suggestions.  🙂

Good luck with this - and be careful.  If you're using nickel strings (pure or coated), that may be (part of) the issue - some people have an intolerance of/allergy to nickel.  It can be serious too and can be a cause of rashes, blistering and muscle pain.  As those above have suggested, if not an allergy, it's probably just an issue of perseverance or time.  That said, if the dryness is causing discomfort, I'd try a little (basic/simple) moisturiser before playing, then more when you stop.  I'd also wipe the strings fairly thoroughly both before and after playing - this applies particularly to round wound strings.  Again, good luck with it and I hope that the problem is quickly surmounted.   

• Like 2

Let your callous build up on your fingers. It’s basically armour for them.

There is string lube - GHS Fast Fret - and it can be useful for cleaning strings and cutting down finger noise when recording, but build those callouses first.

When you can’t stick a pin through the skin anymore you’ll know the callous is tough enough. 

5 hours ago, three said:

Good luck with this - and be careful.  If you're using nickel strings (pure or coated), that may be (part of) the issue - some people have an intolerance of/allergy to nickel.  It can be serious too and can be a cause of rashes, blistering and muscle pain.  As those above have suggested, if not an allergy, it's probably just an issue of perseverance or time.  That said, if the dryness is causing discomfort, I'd try a little (basic/simple) moisturiser before playing, then more when you stop.  I'd also wipe the strings fairly thoroughly both before and after playing - this applies particularly to round wound strings.  Again, good luck with it and I hope that the problem is quickly surmounted.   

Totally agree with this. Tried many different strings, but found that using nickel coated strings really made my fingertips very sensitive, and noticed that they developed loads of white/dead skin on the tips. Changed back to using stainless steel rounds, the sensitivity stopped and my fingertips went back to normal. 

If you use flats, maybe look at stainless or tape wound strings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Let your callous build up on your fingers. It’s basically armour for them.

There is string lube - GHS Fast Fret - and it can be useful for cleaning strings and cutting down finger noise when recording, but build those callouses first.

When you can’t stick a pin through the skin anymore you’ll know the callous is tough enough. 

I use GHS 👍

• Like 1

Callouses will build up over time...but meanwhile, I'd recommend a hand cream called "Farmer's Hand Cream".

When I was sparkying I found it would prevent my finger tips from splitting - this happened after repeated contact with sharp copper cable ends. And if I haven't been playing enough smearing some on soothes any soreness and speeds callous formation... It's not cheap, but last for ages - luckily we sell it in our shop so I get it at discount!

farmers-hand-cream-768x768.jpg.webp

6 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Callouses will build up over time...but meanwhile, I'd recommend a hand cream called "Farmer's Hand Cream".

When I was sparkying I found it would prevent my finger tips from splitting - this happened after repeated contact with sharp copper cable ends. And if I haven't been playing enough smearing some on soothes any soreness and speeds callous formation... It's not cheap, but last for ages - luckily we sell it in our shop so I get it at discount!

farmers-hand-cream-768x768.jpg.webp

Is that just udder cream in a repackaged pot? I know a dairy farmer with lovely hands. 🧐

In a similar way I recommend the O'keefes Working Hands or whatever it's called. I don't normally buy into these TV advertised miracle cures. But due to my job I often great cracked fingers when the first really cold weather hits. In laws bought me some and, although I hate the feel of it on my hands, it really does work. I just leave it on as long as I don't have to do anything in the evening and then wash my hands as it always seems to feel damp. But even doing that it clears up my hands in a couple of days, without leaving them to soft to work with. 

2 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

I use Dunlop 65 Ultraglide String Cleaner and Conditioner. 

I currently use SIT nickel round wound strings, which are David Ellefson signature strings. 

Wouldnt recommend those look at the troubele DE got in.......oh wait that was his banjo string lol just kidding huge DE fan here

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Wouldnt recommend those look at the troubele DE got in.......oh wait that was his banjo string lol just kidding huge DE fan here

Plenty of mileage left in that joke, for sure 🤣

(Huge DE fan here also).

I saw this comment yesterday on Facebook when Megadeth posted the results of their annual Christmas card competition...

Inked1 Jan_LI.jpg

Edited by DawnPatroller
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

Plenty of mileage left in that joke, for sure 🤣

(Huge DE fan here also).

I saw this comment yesterday on Facebook when Megadeth posted the results of their annual Christmas card competition...

Inked1 Jan_LI.jpg

Joking aside so can't wait to get megadeths new album 

And hope DE does something better than the Lucid this year the music was OK but the vocals were shite 

Imo

• Like 1