Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton neck change?

hooky_lowdown

Funnily enough I had the same thoughts the other way round, putting a maple neck from a PB50 on a PB20. I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t work on Fender basses withou making changes because the shape of the neck/pocket on the earlier models was squared rather than rounded. Whether Harley Benton went to lengths of replicating the shapes in their examples is not clear from their web site. I kind of abandoned the idea before it got off the ground but it would still be interesting to know if it’s possible. 

There are quite a few neck off pics and the pb50 doesnt look square heeled so i think it would be a yes... Swapping P for P...

'Only one way to find out... SWAP!'

Whats annoying is some of the latter P50s have a hole under the scratchplate to help with the wire routing... meaning it cant be a 'scratchplate off'

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Funnily enough I had the same thoughts the other way round, putting a maple neck from a PB50 on a PB20. I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t work on Fender basses withou making changes because the shape of the neck/pocket on the earlier models was squared rather than rounded. Whether Harley Benton went to lengths of replicating the shapes in their examples is not clear from their web site. I kind of abandoned the idea before it got off the ground but it would still be interesting to know if it’s possible. 

There's a meeting destined to happen!

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

There’s a whole forum for Harley Benton!!!

Aye. Started by the same fella behind the long running TalkBass thread , Sheffield laddie living in Spain.

I was a moderator on the forum; thankless task most members are guitar players, lockdown was last straw.

Endless stream of Americans bleating " I know my government has suspended air travel from Europe but where is my $100 guitar ?"

James , Sheffield laddie , sensibly jumped ship a year before lockdown 🤣

Though the "hole under the scratchplate" post was mine  but  don't know if it still holds true . Hole appeared after Thomann changed the factory making PB-50's and not all were affected, some left hand versions were unscathed. The factory change heralded a change of scratchplate and I've heard this has changed again , not sure if this means another factory or parts dept supplier.

A factory change might impact your neck swap @hooky_lowdown , say the PB-20 production moved to Indonesia but PB-50 remained in China ;  then it's possible there's a slight difference. Won't be a big difference , just don't expect the neck swap will be a straight drop-in . Official £600 Fender replacement necks carry a "this may require work to fit " warning , also carry a "may require fret work" warning too. View the Harley Benton swap with the same proviso and you're good to go 👍

• Like 1