Why become a member? ×

Any idea what this is?

ChorltonV

My word. Quite a freebie. Have to hope the guy who abandoned it doesn't read basschat. 

Lots in common between Travis beans and Kramer's:

"Kramer and Bean parted ways in 1975, with the former starting Kramer Guitars. The first series of Kramer guitars were redesigned aluminum-necked instruments but utilizing wooden inserts along the back of the neck to cut down on weight and provide a more traditional feel; these modifications also avoided patent infringement of Travis Bean's original neck design"

If it was a Travis bean it would be worth £5k.  As it's the Kramer "not a copy honest guv" must still be worth £1k or more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChorltonV said:

My brother recently moved into a new house and the previous owner left a really interesting looking bass guitar behind, said they didn't want it any more. I've no idea what it is. Does anyone know?

20211230_190024.jpg

20211230_190043.jpg

20211230_190040.jpg

20211230_190037.jpg

Hell of a find!  As said above, control knobs non-original.  Coincidentally; one sold only recently on here: 

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I remembered that one too. Not sure what model he used tho. ?

image.png.5cc47774bff4cf9e21127a56ed018554.png

Thats a Kramer 450B in the pic, I think he was more usually seen with the 650B (as in the TOTP studio footage of “Rat Trap” )

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

While it is a slightly modified DMZ5000, the bridge is the least consistent thing about Kramers from that era. It could just as likely have sported a Badass or a Schaller 3D from new.

+1 above.  The bridge is the same as my DMZ4001.  What a great freebie, superb basses, great string clarity and lack of deadspots .  You will find criticism about tuning stability, I have never experienced this despite using mine in wildly changing temperatures. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Great free bass. A friend had a one and I recall being told that the downside to the aluminium neck was that the frets were integral and therefore not renewable if they got it worn down.

The frets on mine (original) look like the regular press/hammer in the slots ones that we find everywhere (the advertising at the time mentions Petillo  "center-touch"  fret wire, whatever that was/is?) .  I do not envisage any refret problems other than possible Ebanol board chipping.  The thread has inspired me to get mine out and use it at band this week :)  Cancel that, covid bullet near miss has just impacted the domestic nest ☹️ testing, testing 123 or somesuch if any tests were available.

Edited by 3below
covid-19
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Great free bass. A friend had a one and I recall being told that the downside to the aluminium neck was that the frets were integral and therefore not renewable if they got it worn down.

I've not come across any aluminium-necked instruments where the frets were integral to the neck. Not even on on the Born To Rock F4B or the Andreas "Shark" instruments which have aluminium fingerboards. The Born To Rock used inlayed round "wire" and the Andreas had standard frets.

As has already been said the Kramer has standard frets fitted to an Ebanol fingerboard (it's the stuff that bowling balls are made out of), so it shouldn't be any more difficult to refret than any other instrument with a traditional close-grain hard wood fingerboard.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 12:06, Maude said:

Didn't the Boomtown Rats bassist use a Kramer? I remember the headstock from Rat Trap on TOTP years ago. 

Dont remember  that but do remember Quo's  Alan Lancaster playing a Kramer, though a different model to the OP's.  Lancaster also played a Bean at some point

hqdefault-27-1-480x270.jpg.71beb379efa30183ef23d66ae073df10.jpg

Alan-Lancaster-of-Status-Quo-at-Live-Aid-1985.jpg.e18473cd1e194cae88c505553b048f44.jpg