Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Here we go then , another year just about over , a new start to the monthly challenges, a couple of days early but hey, we are loose cannons and anarchists, so lets just do it :D

The picture to inspire you is chosen by Novembers winner @skankdelvar who offers the following titbit with the image ..

"it's a picture of the universe and everything in it that has existed or happened, is in the process of existing or happening, and might exist or happen in the future.

So there's scope to write a tune about absolutely anything that takes one's fancy."

image.png.4408556d3d3e3834f604da0bfa418603.png

( It looks more like a broken oscilloscope to me 😉

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the Christmas truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

Deadline wise , we will go for  midnight on  ' US National Pie Day '  👍, though you probably have till I get home from work on the24th, ( the clue given here is that 'US National Pie Day' is the 23rd ).

There's an extra day or so to this one, sweeeet :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Eek! I've got to be at work today so only this eve to get cracking! If my entry sounds even more like a drunken fistfight than usual it's because I cracked open the Chivas Royal Salute...

😂😂

copy/paste and a lack of editing scrutiny , and we’ve lost a year 😂

I shall revisit this post-haste. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by lurksalot

Here's a question - can I 'sample' myself (oo-er, missus) using snippets of my previous compositional efforts? My idea is to recycle segments into unrecognisable sounds from what they were before. It fits in with the theme of everything previous, everything now and everything to be but is it in the spirit of the challenge? Does it count as being recorded this month if the tune consists of re-recordings? Am I over-thinking this?  

My main concern, as always, is will it sound any good 🤪

18 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Here's a question - can I 'sample' myself (oo-er, missus) using snippets of my previous compositional efforts? My idea is to recycle segments into unrecognisable sounds from what they were before. It fits in with the theme of everything previous, everything now and everything to be but is it in the spirit of the challenge? Does it count as being recorded this month if the tune consists of re-recordings? Am I over-thinking this?  

My main concern, as always, is will it sound any good 🤪

If I'm composing with samples, either my own or from elsewhere, I'm not noting the date of creation of the samples. The composition is to be of the current month, from either stuff played live for the creation, or from bits'n'pieces from wherever, whenever.

Short answer: Yes, you're over-thinking, and well done for doing so. Now get back to the lab and carry on composing. 'We're good', as I think our trans-Atlantic cousins are wont to say (whatever it's supposed to mean...). And it'd better sound good, or you'll get no votes. Hope this helps. :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid I've been busy....

This month I've been mostly listening to Albert Collins. So I thought I'd do some blues, with keyboards duelling with guitars, more guitars and more keys. I felt this was far kinder than unleashing my much-feared "blues voice"!

Bass is a Sandberg Basic, Drums Jabo Sparks via EZ Drummer with extras by me, guitars a mixture of strat and Ample guitars vst, all through various Amplitube and Bias FX sims. Keys are sounds from Addictive Keys vst. Polish and glitter supplied by Ozone 9 and Neutron 3.

• Like 6

I will be late I fear ...

1. the wife has been inspired 

2, I have had to dismantle the ‘studio’

3 she is slow with the inspiration 

A34EB3D8-2922-49F7-B36B-0D0517618838.thumb.jpeg.947e5547598bde5088a7e9d83696cb63.jpeg

ceiling  base coat 

790422C4-FC35-40B7-86EF-7B8E0175B3E6.thumb.jpeg.ac2b54385bb979c8c108a8c0fe2e9fed.jpeg

end wall where my computer    normally resides .

don’t let your Mrs visit ‘the Cavern’  

this could work out half decent mind 😁😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I will be late I fear ...

Can't live with 'em; can't live without 'em, eh..? 9_9

Still, seeing the picture for inspiration, a computer might not be necessary. I think it could be matched by recording yourself whistling tunelessly into your 'phone. Just a thought; no need to thank me. :| 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I think it could be matched by recording yourself whistling tunelessly into your 'phone. Just a thought; no need to thank me. :| 

Lets just keep our fingers crossed that there are no descendants of Le Pétomane lurking on Basschat. Because, that's an invitation if ever I saw one.

:D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here is my contribution to the January 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: SkankDelVar.
An audio exercise, capturing (more than...) fifty shades of real Grey Noise, representing the neutrality of The Universe, and literally pitching this beside a Human Condition notion (somewhat dark, maybe...) and a more potentially joyful version, both stemming from a deep cultural heritage going back eons. I'll freely admit, with no apologies, that it's not the most EDM of my stuff, and will not garner many votes, but that's where the picture led me, so...
The fundamental key is the genuine grey noise, playing a theme from an operatic piece by Massenet thanks to Sforzanda, flanked on each side by a set of Kontakt voices, to render a human aspect, and another set of Kontakt balafons, to bring a touch of light-hearted optimism, all through Reaper, naturally. Little in the way of Fx; just a liberal sprinkling of reverb, for distance, and delay, for depth. A NY Glue compression polishes it all (all Cockos stuff, bundled with Reaper...).
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 4

On 08/01/2022 at 03:12, Dad3353 said:

Can't live with 'em; can't live without 'em, eh..? 9_9

Still, seeing the picture for inspiration, a computer might not be necessary. I think it could be matched by recording yourself whistling tunelessly into your 'phone. Just a thought; no need to thank me. :| 

A computer not being necessary is true-ish word even in jest .

in her eagerness, mrs lurks has dropped the computer , it is an ‘all in one’ touch screen , and as the screen is now broken it does random ‘touches’ on itself and sends reaper into spasms.

the files are all intact I think , but it’s like having scratches on a record as it jumps all over the playback and recording , it’s like trying to record a jigsaw and play it back after a shuffle 🤦‍♂️

ed to add

I might be able to disable the ‘touch screen’ driver so it stops  playing with reaper on its own ! 

Edited by lurksalot

4 hours ago, lurksalot said:

ed to add

I might be able to disable the ‘touch screen’ driver so it stops  playing with reaper on its own ! 

A bit of a shame, that; I was looking forward to hearing that winning composition. :|

We have a Roland D110 that has gone wild, emitting only random sounds. Useless for 'live', but odd snatches can be fun for finding inspiration when the skies are grey. 9_9

• Haha 1

My contribution to the January 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: SkankDelVar.

A song about wondering, I guess. This marks the first proper (?) recording of my NS EUB, as I'm sworn off bass guitar for a while to let me get my head (and fingers) round it, and I'm quite enjoying misusing it. Bass and guitars through the Helix, VSTs are just the ones bundled with Cubase Elephants. 

• Like 3

Entry into this months Basschat comp, based on the picture and remit by last months winner 'Skankdelvar'.."it's a picture of the universe and everything in it that has existed or happened, is in the process of existing or happening, and might exist or happen in the future."

Tried to create it to scale, but didn't have the time. So this was it !
The 6 parts are ,beginning,creation of earth,stompy human race, end of race and new start in Dminor, new creations and lastly, endless time.
The titles are more 'grandiose' than the actual pieces,but t'was still good fun to do.
For those interested : squire guitar through amplitude/effects,mustang bass, LPK25 keyboard for free spitfire bbc orchestra instruments(layered) ,Kontact bits and pieces. Ez drums do their bit and it's all cobbled together in Reaper..

• Like 4

I’m on my third attempt at this , all stealing the bit of time I can while my room is in pieces. 
I have a tune laid out , but am struggling to set my singing to it , and that is after 3 different approaches to the thing .

if I really think it’s abysmal I’ll  ditch the vocal , but if it’s just utter crap , I think it will scrape over my very low quality threshold .

it’s a story which won’t be much good without words, but then again ......

8 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

...if I really think it’s abysmal I’ll  ditch the vocal , but if it’s just utter crap , I think it will scrape over my very low quality threshold ...

If you're anything like me, the 'didn't make the final cut' bin is very rarely solicited. As proof, and by sheer coincidence, this month's entry is quite literally noise. OK, grey noise, but noise none the less. On the other hand, I might be more likely to be tempted to vote for a 'story without words' from your stable (and I'm more than half deaf, so...). -_-

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If you're anything like me, the 'didn't make the final cut' bin is very rarely solicited.

All I can say is it’s a good job I use ones and zeros , if I had to pay for the equivalent  in tape I would be beyond broke 🤔

😁

Here's mine. Skank said there's scope to write a tune about absolutely anything in relation to the picture. I was planning to use only samples but that idea died like a louse in a Russian's beard so instead I've written a tune about everything and nothing. It's a tune that exists digitally in this universe. There, nailed the premise.

Stuff used - Necarman elektro saz, Westfield violin bass, Yamaha keyboard, Hydrogen drum programme, Samplefocus vocal samples. Roland Cube for amp and all recorded using Wavepad and Audacity.

• Like 4

In this month challenge I decided to experiment with Ableton live. I tried to produce some electronic song for change, so enjoy

All instruments played on Novation Launchkey

VST used- Syntronik, SampleTank 4, Mod Bass, TyrellN6

Voice recorded via SM58  then processed via Ableton effects. 

Plenty of automation 

Mixed and mastered with Ableton and TR5 through speakers and headphones

Lyrics:

Black dot.....white stripes

Black hole...white stars

Last hope...bright  light

at the end of the tunnel it`s so bright.....

Edited by SH73
Added
  • Like 4

I appear to have picked up a cold with a blocked nose, so you will have to cut me a bit of slack on the vocal line this month :i-m_so_happy:

with such a open goal left for us with this picture , I have taken it upon myself to have a dig at songs that refer to themselves in the song, I think its despicable and lazy song writing , so I did it as well :facepalm:  :D

There are 2 swearages in at the end , not as bad as last months , but they are there .

musically a cheat, with my digital piano that plays itself after you set it up and press go , just a few chords and patterns to punch in, then my fingers are free to stick in my ears when I start singing!

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I appear to have picked up a cold with a blocked nose, so you will have to cut me a bit of slack on the vocal line this month :i-m_so_happy:

with such a open goal left for us with this picture , I have taken it upon myself to have a dig at songs that refer to themselves in the song, I think its despicable and lazy song writing , so I did it as well :facepalm:  :D

musically a cheat, with my digital piano that plays itself after you set it up and press go , just a few chords and patterns to tell it then my fingers are free to stick in my ears when I start singing!

I mean, I've liked it but I also wanted to put a laughing face 😄 Graham Bonnet 'loitering' near a fridge, there's an image that'll stick in my head for a while!

• Haha 1

Hectic one, this 😀 

Haven't been on BC for a while (3 years according to soundcloud 😮), and just remembered the Composition challenges, only to find it was deadline day. My beloved Ableton8 is no more, so I had to make this with version 9 "Lite" (meaning only 8 tracks, and I LOVE lots and lots and lots of tracks).

This is not so much a composition as a bunch of ingredients for what should have been some kind of arrangement.

Still, at the eleventh hour, here 'tis.

Looking forward to next month already 😁

• Like 4