Why become a member? ×

Help please with Stereophonics - Just Looking

steantval

Hi fellow BCer’s,

Can anyone help me with a note run down within this song please, I’m struggling to pick out the bass notes within the middle eight (at 2.20 on the video) it repeats C to D three times and on the fourth section before going back into the chorus there is definitely a bass rundown behind the guitar, our guitarist recons it’s E F# G A B, I’m fairly sure it just sounds different to that.

Any guidance would be welcome.

Edited by steantval

From 2.32 he's playing a static E until the chorus comes back in. When I've played it in the past, I've followed the guitarist's run-up of E - F# - G - A back to G for the chorus. On the C - D mid 8, I've usually played that in 10ths to make up for the missing string part. C on the 8th fret E string while holding the 9th fret G string, move the same shape up a tone for the D.

'Walk On the Wild Side' thing.

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

If I need to establish particular hand positions, or particular bits, l look for live versions and try and catch what's going on.

That's assuming that it gets played exactly the same way live and in the same key. The OP has referenced the original version.

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That's assuming that it gets played exactly the same way live and in the same key. The OP has referenced the original version.

You'll soon find out. In the past I've pinched parts from live versions to give the original line a bit of interest. If it's in a different key I transpose it. "Diamonds on the Soles of Her shoes", the bass breaks are very difficult without the right hand positions.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No, not I sir.

Not sure that player on the video has really listened to the song or he has made up his own version.

On the original recording the bass does not kick in until 42 seconds into the song, this guy is playing his bass from the actual start.

Edited by steantval

In that section of the song it seems that the guitarist is playing inversions, so while you are playing C/D the guitar is actually playing C/E and D/F#.  The guitar then switches to a full Em, then D/F# and G, G.  I've not played the song but I was playing against that progression I'd probably play C, D three times then E, D, B, G.