Why become a member? ×

Gibson Les Paul Junior Tribute DC Short Scale BARGAIN !!

Adee

I know some people love these basses but clearly not enough. I always thought this one was a bit of an odd duck - not "Gibson-y" enough for me and not proven enough to prise people away from more established short scale options at the price. So this fire sale doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I know some people love these basses but clearly not enough. I always thought this one was a bit of an odd duck - not "Gibson-y" enough for me and not proven enough to prise people away from more established short scale options at the price. So this fire sale doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

Often the way with gibsons at the end. I bought a Gibson EB5 2013 when Gak kicked them out cheap, had it about a year. Loved the sound, hated the string spacing and never could learn to love the look. One of the few basses I sold for more than I got it, so not all bad.

Plenty Gibson-y enough for me, I love mine.  Not the classic SG/EB0/3 mudbucker tone with the pickup further back but all the better for it IMO - more bite, more middy. 

Totally devalued now, of course, come the time I might want to move it on :D 

28 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Plenty Gibson-y enough for me, I love mine.  Not the classic SG/EB0/3 mudbucker tone with the pickup further back but all the better for it IMO - more bite, more middy. 

Totally devalued now, of course, come the time I might want to move it on :D 

Certainly tempting, do you have other shorties to compare it to?

15 minutes ago, Adee said:

Certainly tempting, do you have other shorties to compare it to?

Currently the LP Jnr DC, an Antoria EB-3 shorty, a Harley Benton PB Shorty and Retrovibe P30 shorty.  I have had several others though - mainly Fender flavoured - but I did have an Epiphone EB-0 for a while.  The LP Jnr DC is the pick of the Gibson-y ones and at £500 I'd say very much worth the extra £150 over an Epiphone.  Possibly the biggest minus if you can't live with it is the 3 point bridge.  I put a Hipshot Supertone in mine.

Here's mine in action :)  Sounds great through the big pa there. 

Incidentally a Gator Deluxe Les Paul guitar hard case fits one of these like a glove.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

Do you get neck-dive with these?  I'm guessing better than the SG but still significant.  That's why I ended up selling my otherwise amazing SG re-issue.

No, good balance.  They have ultralite tuners which I guess must help.

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

No, good balance.  They have ultralite tuners which I guess must help.

Thanks.  I think I just spotted the other reason for no neck-dive - the body's mahogany and the weight (albeit inc. packaging) is quoted as 7.1kg.  Anyone know the nett weight?

3 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Thanks.  I think I just spotted the other reason for no neck-dive - the body's mahogany and the weight (albeit inc. packaging) is quoted as 7.1kg.  Anyone know the nett weight?

I looked at a video on the net about them and the guys one was 7.8lb

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Darn!  Half-price, no neck-dive, decent weight...  I've always had a soft spot for Gibsons - it's between my ears where my brain should be 🙂

Did I mention the coil tap?.... :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That's a really good price on a great little bass, if I hadn't just bought a new bass I'd be all over this. I had a blue one from Bax earlier in the year and thought it was fantastic, the neck is lovely and it sounds pretty great too. The only reason I returned it is that my brain couldn't justify having a Gibson as a back up.