Why become a member? ×

Bc Members

Thunderbird

18 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Ah, that would explain why some bass players wear gloves. Leave no prints and all that.

That's right.

If it wasn't for the gloves Scott Devine would have been arrested for being really irritating a long time ago.

Edited by RhysP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RhysP said:

That's right.

If it wasn't for the gloves Scott Devine would have been arrested for being really irritating a long time ago.

pretty much 60% of YouTube adverts I get served are Scott Devine.
I did find it annoying till I considered what the alternative adverts would be... he's alright - plus he lives next village to me!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, merello said:

Lysdexia
Great photos and advertise for any of his sales. Had two 'deals' with him - great guy, full of enthusiasm and humour. One deal he came to my house, the second he asked if I could approach his nuclear bunker due to health reasons. Was a lovely trip and great visit.

Thoroughly endorse what you say about Lysdexia. Great guy. Pleasure to do business with and a great photographer. My avatar is a detail from one of his photos.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 20:58, Thunderbird said:

I'm 45 and have thought about going back to college to retrain due to health issues and the thought of sitting in a class with young adults fills me with dread they seem to be on a totally different wave length and I feel like a dinosaur as times have changed so much oh god now I feel old lol 

Anyway back on topic 👍

If you have an inclination to return to college, my advice is just do it.  Don't feel intimidated by thinking you're age will make you feel out of place.

In 2017, at the age of 61, I started an Audio Engineering degree at UHI Perth College.

You'll probably find a wider age-range than you might think.

In my NC (National Certificate) year, I was, unsurprisingly the oldest; the youngest a straight-from-school 15yo.

However, I think the only decade not represented was someone in their fifties.

The following year was even more diverse age-wise.

Apart from the feeling of being totally accepted by younger people, the thing that struck me the most was realising the future was in good hands.

It would be ridiculous to suggest that there will be no difference in attitude between someone in middle-years and a teenager.

That said, your chosen subject will unite you in a way that overcomes any age differences.

You'll very quickly realise that, in the very best way, you are just another student.

Hope I haven't rambled on too much. 🙄

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

pretty much 60% of YouTube adverts I get served are Scott Devine.
I did find it annoying till I considered what the alternative adverts would be... he's alright - plus he lives next village to me!

The advert from Scott which riled me is when he started dissing on Youtube. Not too long ago he was singing the praises of Youtube and the wealth of information available to you for free.

On 31/12/2021 at 20:58, Thunderbird said:

I'm 45 and have thought about going back to college to retrain due to health issues and the thought of sitting in a class with young adults fills me with dread they seem to be on a totally different wave length and I feel like a dinosaur as times have changed so much oh god now I feel old lol 

Anyway back on topic 👍

I went to university in my mid-thirties with the same fears as you.

But it turned out that the student age-range was very diverse and, anyway, who I got on with socially was not determined by age alone.

Having said that, it pays not to be nor to appear to be a 'pompous old git' - which I am sure you're not.

As for being 'on a totally different wavelength', there are people of your own age 'on a totally different wavelength'.

Good luck with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Go to university.

Yeah, you may be one of those "sad peeps" that hang out at the library - but that's because you have lived in the real world and got acclimatised to the idea of work and maybe the 9 to 5. You are there because you want to be there for the qualification, not the lifestyle... like a lot of students do. Treat it like a job and you'll come out on top.

Get equipped with the qualifications and you'll stand out at in interview as somebody that has shown willingness to learn and improve.

Although it does sadden me that to be a burger flipper nowadays requires a degree :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Life’s too short, let it go. 

or alternatively if life isn’t too short the world is crying out for more of your opinions on barefaced gear again. :D 

Oh it's gone. I haven't got time for that.

My Barefaced comments aren't opinions. They are tangible observations - unless of course, your eyes are deceiving you and the tolex isn't peeling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to Uni in my late 30's, it was the best thing I ever did. My only regret was that I didn't go straight from school, as it would have been free back then. Still, I know that if I had gone straight from school, I certainly wouldn't have done as well as I did.

Definitely go for it and as @EBS_freak says, treat it like a 9-5 and you'll fly through it.

One thing you might find, is for the first couple of days, your fellow students may think you're the lecturer! 🤣

• Haha 1