Why become a member? ×

Existential nonsense/what's the basspoint

Ajoten

18 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Well... for me, I don't think I've EVER heard a recording where bass was too much, by anyone. Please recommend examples! 

Anything off Born Again by Black Sabbath?

I think you are being a bit paranoid, most songs are well mixed, it's only a few albums (Metallica's And Justice for All) where the Bass sound is completely trashed.

• Haha 1

Look on the bright side, it could be worse, you could be the bassist in Metallica.

I'm playing it on my hi-fi and the sound of the bass is indistinct but the overall mix is not too bad.

I tend to record with a P bass, as it does tend to sit well in the mix.

2 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Would prefer a P bass myself but don't get on with string spacing on a 5er, and therefore have to take unfathomable active eq on the chin  🙂

My 5 string has the same spacing at neck and bridge as my 4 string… just one extra string obv

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Anything off Born Again by Black Sabbath?

I think you are being a bit paranoid, most songs are well mixed, it's only a few albums (Metallica's And Justice for All) where the Bass sound is completely trashed.

Four Sabbath song titles in two sentences? I doff my cap in your direction.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Would prefer a P bass myself but don't get on with string spacing on a 5er, and therefore have to take unfathomable active eq on the chin  🙂

What spacing don't you get on with? 5 string basses come in all sizes, from 14.5mm to 20mm, and all nut sizes.

If you can play a 4 string you can play a 5 string.

You need someone to tell you you can do things, rather than you telling yourself you can't!!

Well, the bass sounded fine to me on all the tracks I listened to. The guitar's a bit upfront - not necessarily too loud, just needs to move back a touch in the mix. On the whole, some really nice quality songs and recording.

Thing about mixing is that not every instrument can be the star and the bass is usually going to rank behind the voice, the drums and the mid-range instruments. But take the bass out altogether and the song will fall apart.

Congratulations, excellent effort 👍

First 3 tracks while we wait for 2021 to die, through the headphones I usually mix on. It's perfectly loud enough to me. Pushed any further it wouldn't work IMO. Not my usual fare, but it sounds pretty cool.

Just my perception, but the drums are really fat, as is clearly heard in the naked parts, and the bass sound is fairly clean. The parts you're playing, being pretty melodic, help separation, but I think a bit of dirt adding a bit of grit to the top end, and taking a touch of bottom end out where you complete with the kick would have pushed it out a bit more.

TLDR... Nowt really wrong with it IMO