Why become a member? ×

1974 Telecaster Bass-thoughts?

What are people's thoughts on this? Seller talks about a nitro finished body, I thought they stopped using nitro in 68? Think it's quite a bit overpriced, no case and not as rare as he maintains?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334220415003?hash=item4dd116d01b:g:8RMAAOSwhlZhkuBU

Edited by yorks5stringer

I’ve had a couple of these, they are a bit of a one trick pony with the big mudbucker pickup. Certainly a nice looking instrument in a classic colour scheme however if you haven’t played one be aware that the neck is fat and clubby and they are generally over the 4.5kgs mark weight wise. I like them personally and would love a black and maple one as in the pics above but I wouldn’t pay more than 2k. I think Dust and Barley on here still has one of mine, I miss that bass! 

• Like 1

Maybe based the price on the "Vintage & Rare" site.

https://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Fender-Telecaster-Bass-1974-Blonde-85688

Trouble is the V&R example is in Switzerland , most expensive country in the Big Mac Index 😀

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

• Like 2

I had a '72. Almost uniquely it was as light as a feather, but that pickup is a big hot beast which will smash the preamp in any head, and is tonally 'challenging'.

Tip: If you have a look at the photo of the pickup in the eBay auction, you'll see there are a couple of flat-headed screws at opposite corners. Take those out to make the pickup a little more manageable.

(I sold mine to the bass player out of It Bites, IIRC).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I had a '72. Almost uniquely it was as light as a feather, but that pickup is a big hot beast which will smash the preamp in any head, and is tonally 'challenging'.

Tip: If you have a look at the photo of the pickup in the eBay auction, you'll see there are a couple of flat-headed screws at opposite corners. Take those out to make the pickup a little more manageable.

(I sold mine to the bass player out of It Bites, IIRC).

As you may already be aware I have a 72 one also and the tip about the pickup is useful as it's a beast! What does removing the screws actually do? I'm also interested in whether nitro finish was in fact standard as mine had to have a very light refinish and when I wiped it  before spraying with a tack cloth, finish came off so I stopped. Not sure if that was a previous refin or the OEM finish?

I'll try and use mine in 2022 a bit more as its 50 years old and worth celebrating its birthday!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I'm also interested in whether nitro finish was in fact standard as mine had to have a very light refinish and when I wiped it  before spraying with a tack cloth, finish came off so I stopped. Not sure if that was a previous refin or the OEM finish?

You’re right that nitro finishes were phased out from ‘68.

The seller says ist came from Seattle, so if it’s Emerald City Guitars he probably payed a fair bit over the odds, though their gear is usually pretty tasty. 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 12:13, Bunion said:

“I sold the case on. It was neat mint but because it had been shut for so long it had an old smell.”

I smell a bit of bull shite

Ditto. Why sell it for that reason? Makes no sense. If the assertion is true and the smell was so offensive to him, it could have been left to air for a few weeks, or even kept closed and not used. The description is just a bit too fulsome to be credible, imho (I know. I'm a nasty, suspicious old git). And why the need for all the talk of "You can trust me. I'm a retired teacher", etc? Sounds more like a retired double glazing salesman to me.

I'd steer clear, but that's just me. It's no bargain at the price he's asking, either. Caveat emptor.

On 30/12/2021 at 06:54, Chiliwailer said:

You’re right that nitro finishes were phased out from ‘68.

The seller says ist came from Seattle, so if it’s Emerald City Guitars he probably payed a fair bit over the odds, though their gear is usually pretty tasty. 

Just been reading in my Fender Bass Book  that they still undercoated in nitro after 68 but the topcoat was poly...never heard that before?

12 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Ditto. Why sell it for that reason? Makes no sense. If the assertion is true and the smell was so offensive to him, it could have been left to air for a few weeks, or even kept closed and not used. The description is just a bit too fulsome to be credible, imho (I know. I'm a nasty, suspicious old git). And why the need for all the talk of "You can trust me. I'm a retired teacher", etc? Sounds more like a retired double glazing salesman to me.

I'd steer clear, but that's just me. It's no bargain at the price he's asking, either. Caveat emptor.

Google him...hes taught music etc and hes been a muso in a few bands. His description goes on a bit in the advert which he didnt need to do....especially when he says you can trust me!.......l wonder if Harold Shipman used to say the same haha

• Like 1

• yorks5stringer changed the title to 1974 Telecaster Bass-thoughts?
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/12/2021 at 22:32, kodiakblair said:

Maybe based the price on the "Vintage & Rare" site.

https://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Fender-Telecaster-Bass-1974-Blonde-85688

Trouble is the V&R example is in Switzerland , most expensive country in the Big Mac Index 😀

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

I once paid the equivalent of £6 for a 330ml bottle of Beck's lager in an Hotel in Zurich. Back in 1993!

• Haha 1