Why become a member? ×

Stingrays

SteveXFR

I've been thinking recently about trading in my two Sterling Stingrays to buy a full fat US made EBMM. 

I've got a Ray34 and a Ray35 which are both excellent, I think the 35 is an exceptionally good example. Unfortunately, I'm not getting much use from the 5 string since my expulsion from the band I was in.

Is the EBMM Stingray good enough of a step up to be worth replacing both my current Ray's? I would go to a shop and try one but I think I'd end up with a late 80s or 90's model which is different to the current version.

I know opinions are rare on the Internet but let's have a few.

• Like 1

I’ve only played the Ray34 not the 35, but not owned either. I’ve had more EBMM Rays than memory serves.  To be honest, compared to a post ‘90 Ray I didn’t think there was as much difference in the Sterling and EBMM as the price difference would suggest. You can get EBMM Rays with nice figured necks as well as fairly plain (my ‘90 was fairly plain, my ‘02 was insanely figured). While many think the late 80s, early 90s Rays are much better than more modern, I can’t say that’s something I’ve found - unless you really must have the mute bridge. 

Realistically though, as you’re having these thoughts I think it will be an itch that you won’t be satisfied until you’ve scratched it...

• Like 5

I had an EBMM Stingray (about 15 years old) with a (brand new) Sterling by Musicman Ray34 as backup. Aside from the worn finish on the neck of the EBMM and the very slightly harsher top-end of the Ray34 there really wasn’t much difference between them. I do wonder if the Ray34 had been of similar age if the top end might have dulled a tad and if the neck had slightly worn too. 
I do think Mart has hit it tho, thus will be an itch that needs scratching. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

I'll start by being clear I've never played a Ray34 or a Ray35, I have no idea what they're like, so this is half speculation and half my own experience with EBMM Stingrays. I picked up my 3rd proper EBMM Stingray, a mid-90's one with the fancy neck, in a trade a few months ago. All three have all been lovely basses, for sure, but I sold the first two over the years. I'm thinking I'll probably sell this one eventually, too. As I say, it's a really nice bass, I have no complaints, it's really nice. However, I honestly think it's worth more as a trade item or if I sell it than it is as a bass. What I mean by that is I can pick up what I think would be an equally good or better bass for less money, albeit from a less fashionable/prestigious brand. That's just me, though. I sold my first Stingray when I picked up a Godlyke for half the money on the forum here. It could do everything the Stingray could do and more, was better built, IMO, and was a bit sexier too. I still have it. I bought and sold another Stingray since.

@martthebass is bang on, I think. It's an itch you just have to scratch. Been there, bought the t-shirt, etc. The only way you're going to know is to get a full-on EBMM Stingray. Just don't expect a night and day difference for the extra outlay. They're consistently great basses and It might just be the bass you always wanted but it also might not be everything you think it might be. I appreciate this is probably not helpful at all.

• Like 1

I’ve owned a sterling sub Ray, a Ray 34ca and several ebmm stingrays, including a stunning ‘92 and a piezo model. 
I currently own no Ray at all, for similar reasons to those already given. They held more value as a trade in than as a gigging bass for me. That said, I do find myself drawn to them again. Albeit at a bad time, as the prices have gone a bit nuts on them. Especially given how close the sbmm range gets to the ‘real deal’. 
Tbh, I would take the itch scratching as pretty much the only reason to change. 

• Like 1

The new US Stingray Specials really are something else and as much as I like mid- late 80's Rays, I think the new ones are well worth trying out if you can find one.

The build quality is superb, the new beefed up electronics are brilliant and they now weigh around (if not under) 8lbs so are really comfortable too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I've been thinking recently about trading in my two Sterling Stingrays to buy a full fat US made EBMM. 

I've got a Ray34 and a Ray35 which are both excellent, I think the 35 is an exceptionally good example. Unfortunately, I'm not getting much use from the 5 string since my expulsion from the band I was in.

Is the EBMM Stingray good enough of a step up to be worth replacing both my current Ray's? I would go to a shop and try one but I think I'd end up with a late 80s or 90's model which is different to the current version.

I know opinions are rare on the Internet but let's have a few.

My two-penneth would be to go for it!

I've had three 90s Stingrays (all 3eq) and a couple of noughties SR5s. All of them have sounded superb and been great players (although I struggle a bit with the string spacing on the 5ers). Whenever I've sold one, I've always regretted it straight away and I have no intention of ever selling the 91 four string that I've got now. 

I've never really played the cheaper models, but the full fat ones seem to sound better and are certainly far cooler! You can also pick them up secondhand for very reasonable prices. A mate of mine, who gigs a lot but is a working lad without much spare cash, managed to get a deal on a full fat early 90s EBMM stingray to replace the cheaper model that he had gigged for years and he is as pleased as punch with it! It sounds great, but then I've never played a bad EBMM Stingray. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Well that's unusual for Internet opinions. Everyone is saying the same and no one has been called a commie or nazi.

It seems like I have to get out and try one. Does anyone know of a shop in the Bristol area that's likely to stock them?

Just a word of warning - personally I would be looking for an older model (90s / 00s), purely because that is where the best value is (also, a lot of people prefer that era, although that is of course subjective). The new prices are rather expensive, whereas older models are great basses and can be found relatively cheaply. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, peteb said:

Just a word of warning - personally I would be looking for an older model (90s / 00s), purely because that is where the best value is (also, a lot of people prefer that era, although that is of course subjective). The new prices are rather expensive, whereas older models are great basses and can be found relatively cheaply. 

My favourites have been 90’s ones (mute bridge), 2 eq and my Classic - which for all intents and purposes was a posh 90’s stingray…wouldn’t say no to another early 90’s one

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Well that's unusual for Internet opinions. Everyone is saying the same and no one has been called a commie or nazi.

It seems like I have to get out and try one. Does anyone know of a shop in the Bristol area that's likely to stock them?

Love my EBMM Stingray 4H... There's a PMT in Bristol... if you speak to them very nicely and sound serious about buying one, they'll probably get one or two from another branch if they don't have any in stock (they've done this for me in Northampton)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The new US Stingray Specials really are something else and as much as I like mid- late 80's Rays, I think the new ones are well worth trying out if you can find one.

The build quality is superb, the new beefed up electronics are brilliant and they now weigh around (if not under) 8lbs so are really comfortable too. 

This is good advice - also the Stingray Specials have exquisite necks (roasted maple; very light oil and wax finish). I would check in with shops before going to try one to be sure they have one in stock. A good bet is Andertons, Guildford though maybe some distance from you. I would also recommend strongly an HH version - a lot more variety of sounds whilst still having the classic Stingray sound.  

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Sounds like fate has decreed you must try one Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Interesting, what's it got to do with them?

I agreed to buy a 2kw active sub. They also expected me to buy an SVT head and 8x10 to suit their big stage dual amp dreams and have it all within a few weeks for rehearsal. Now they still need all that gear plus a bassist!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I agreed to buy a 2kw active sub. They also expected me to buy an SVT head and 8x10 to suit their big stage dual amp dreams and have it all within a few weeks for rehearsal. Now they still need all that gear plus a bassist!

Utter toss that.

Played an ampeg rig (svt/610) and drummer said he much preferred my rig (Vanderklay cab/Ashdown head) from a sound point of view.

So did I.

image/sound - what’s really important?!

Hope you get something new mate - I wouldn’t have stayed either.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

No doubt they had enough work lined up to support the purchases? Not sure of the correct way to insert a 2kw sub 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, martthebass said:

No doubt they had enough work lined up to support the purchases? Not sure of the correct way to insert a 2kw sub 😉

Apparently we were going to be signed within two months of sending out demos then two to three gigs a week!

I'm not quite sure of the best method but it's definitely with the power on.

Comparing the Sterlings with standard Rays doesn't reveal a lot of difference in my experience, a good spec Sterling is a match for a standard Stingray both in 4 and 5 string versions I think, but the specials, the BFRs and the Anniversary Rays are something else, I have a 20th anni SR5 that is spectacularly good, I've played the 4 string version too, it's excellent, probably the best version of the Stingray.

Might be worth tracking one down for a trial.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Comparing the Sterlings with standard Rays doesn't reveal a lot of difference in my experience, a good spec Sterling is a match for a standard Stingray both in 4 and 5 string versions I think, but the specials, the BFRs and the Anniversary Rays are something else, I have a 20th anni SR5 that is spectacularly good, I've played the 4 string version too, it's excellent, probably the best version of the Stingray.

Might be worth tracking one down for a trial.

The main difference is the hardware - and particularly cheaper tuners and stuff - not sure about the battery box these days but certainly used to have a cheaper version of the MM one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The main difference is the hardware - and particularly cheaper tuners and stuff - not sure about the battery box these days but certainly used to have a cheaper version of the MM one. 

Does the battery box make any difference to anything?

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I’m sorry to hear this but it seems to happen all too often. 

Some proper’s perceptions and expectations are ridiculous!! In my experience, non bass players have little idea of what makes a particular bassist sound - er - like that bassist!! 

Was it the Who who used dummy cabinets so they could blow them up? Sounds like some of these ‘you must have an SVT and fridge’ people should be obliged with a cardboard cut out and the real sound coming out of a class D with 2 x 10, DId, and with a decent monitoring mix!! I would also be requiring the proponents of the huge gear to pay out of their own pockets to transport it, and preferably lift it into place each time 🤣

• Like 1