Why become a member? ×

pickups

terryj

I believe that there is a lot of hyperbole around pickups. There is only so much you can do with wire and magnets. There is little if any 'magic'.

I'm very pleased with my Haessel pickups. I have a medium scale bass with their P pickups and it's very strong while retaining a great tone. It's a great signal to start with and sounds good both passive and active. 

I like, a lot :)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Harry Haessel in Germany a lot and I've never yet had a pickup that I was not happy with.  Harry does indeed make all the pickups himself with a very small team of co-workers.  He has a very long wait time if you order something that is not in stock and has to be made, but the wait is worth it.   The other 'P' pickup I would recommend as an absolute killer of a pickup is the Lindy Fralin 5% over-wound, they really are stunningly wonderful pickups.  I hope this helps, regards Mike at Zoot.  https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/p-bass/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Merton said:

Aguilar

Nordstrand

Delano

Haussel

… probably others too, but these are the ones I most recently researched :)

In my opinion the best I've heard recently is the Aguilar AG 5P-60 or the  AG 5P-60CL  depending on string spacing, but any in the list above are also excellent choices.  I fitted an AG 5P-60CL to a bass I made for Kei Kato in Japan, it sounded killer with the Aggie and an active/passive Klaus Noll 3 band E.Q.  see picture below of the bass. 

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krispn said:

A Bill Lawrence P-46 will fit a 5 string, sounds clean and clear and yes it’s THAT Bill Lawrence! A quick check it’s $72 before shipping and taxes which is ridiculous value!

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/p-46

I can vouch for the P46. It’s a thumping pickup. It’s designed for either 4 or 5 string basses. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krispn said:

A Bill Lawrence P-46 will fit a 5 string, sounds clean and clear and yes it’s THAT Bill Lawrence! A quick check it’s $72 before shipping and taxes which is ridiculous value!

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/p-46

The website shows it’s suitable for 4, 5, and 6 string and it’s the same pickup for all, not different shells (theres no options for number of strings on the purchase page) How would that work out on a 4 string? Some strings would be over the coils of both pickups shells. Interesting. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fb959fd2cab9698dbe2ac9d2ea12f01d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

The website shows it’s suitable for 4, 5, and 6 string and it’s the same pickup for all, not different shells (theres no options for number of strings on the purchase page) How would that work out on a 4 string? Some strings would be over the coils of both pickups shells. Interesting. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fb959fd2cab9698dbe2ac9d2ea12f01d.jpeg

It’s works just fine. It’s been designed to work in a specific way thing more like a blade but using coils (I think). There probably more info on the site. I use one and it’s a really nice sounding pick up. 

E2078599-E1BD-40B0-B76A-2D2E0D03BC0E.thumb.jpeg.afc35a856ec58ec40e89787e705fa8d5.jpeg

• Like 2