Why become a member? ×

What bass is this?

JJTee

36 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's definitely an Ovation of some sort

Edit - Magnum?

Yep, that looks right. Mk 1 or 2, no idea. Jumper could be C & A. Tough call. 

Great performance though; looks like they may have been in the green room for a few hours beforehand as they look pretty happy!

• Haha 1

Great band / performance / song! The line ‘when you’re in love with a beautiful woman, it’s hard...’ was always delivered with a grin - remember them doing it on TOTP.

When they played in Hull a few years ago, after soundchecking the band had their instruments stolen. They put it out on social media requesting some replacements and did the gig using the borrowed stuff. 

45 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

are those peaveys in the background?

Still in use today probably...

Yup, Peavey central. The band had an endorsement deal in the late 70’s IIRC.

Ray Sawyer ( guy with the eyepatch) sadly died a couple of years ago. Think the band still tour with Dennis Locorriere back fronting them. 

I went and saw Ray Sawyer with my Mum at the London Palladium at least 30 years ago now. It was a good night. 

I've missed out on seeing Dennis playing but he still tours with a band apparently. There were a couple of gig videos he recorded while on tour over here a few years back and he still sounds ace. 

Ovation headstock, same rear body shape around the bridge, but not standard body shape, could be a cut down magnum(1 or 2) body or maybe a one off or prototype. I'd definitely say it's closely related to the magnum 1 or 2

Edited by Tdw

15 hours ago, casapete said:

Yup, Peavey central. The band had an endorsement deal in the late 70’s IIRC.

Ray Sawyer ( guy with the eyepatch) sadly died a couple of years ago. Think the band still tour with Dennis Locorriere back fronting them. 

weirdly the guy who does Dennis' sound lives down the road from me here in Devon.

I painted his house :)

• Like 2

Certainly looks like an Ovation Magnum or, as has been suggested, a variation thereof.

Can't really tell from the vid if it is a I or a II.

The I had regular tone/volume pots while the II had, I think, a volume control and a built-in graphic EQ.

The only reason I have even the slightest clue about Ovation Magnum Basses is from a recently-watched Sky Arts programme featuring Journey on their 1981 "Escape" tour.

I was intrigued by Bass-player Ross Valory's guitar and did a bit of digging to satisfy my curiosity.

Before that, I had been completely unaware of the existence of Ovation bass guitars.

Bound to see them everywhere now.........🙄