Why become a member? ×

Hi from Leicester

Ian Somerville

Hi

Have played guitar on and off for thirty years or more.

Bought a Fender Mustang bass during lockdown and am doing enjoying learning to play. 

Still at beginner level. Playing along with fairly simple stuff and trying to find out what playing bass is all about.

Am thinking of adding a long scale bass or medium scale so will no doubt be seeking advice about that on here soon. 

22 minutes ago, Ian Somerville said:

Thanks Bassfingers. Seeing quite a few Leicesterfarians on here makes me think of a question. Where is the best place in Leicestershire/East Midlands to have a bass set up done? Might be useful to know for the future.

Hi Ian - I can recommend Howard Smith over in Clarendon Park Road area. Nice chap and knows his way around most stringed instruments. 

http://www.howardsmith.co.uk/

I'm sure it won't be long before you are setting your own up however. Plenty of great advice and support on here 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bassfingers said:

Hi Ian - I can recommend Howard Smith over in Clarendon Park Road area. Nice chap and knows his way around most stringed instruments. 

http://www.howardsmith.co.uk/

I'm sure it won't be long before you are setting your own up however. Plenty of great advice and support on here 👍

Further to this I can recommend Tom from https://www.dontfretguitarworks.com/

He's based in Countesthorpe and did a great job on my P bass. Howard passed me on to him when he was too busy / on holiday. Howard taught Tom apparently. Think it cost me £40. 

Edited by Jonse
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ian Somerville said:

I would like to be able to do set ups myself eventually but don’t want to risk messing things up at the moment.

If your going to get it set up properly then just before you do, get on the web, look for some videos and have a bash.

It’s really not that hard once you get into it as long as there are no problems with the bass. 
There are some decent instructional videos out there from some top luthiers and professional techs. 
You might surprise yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/12/2021 at 16:26, Ian Somerville said:

… trying to find out what playing bass is all about.

There’s a great interview with Rachel Loy (Nashville bass player, songwriter, producer etc.) I read yesterday where she compares stunning an acoustic guitar to playing the bass..

”It’s like an endless windshield wiper that has zero impact on the song. Then you pick up a bass and you hit a big old note, like, “What now, motherf***ers?” [Laughs.]

https://bassmagazine.com/artists/rachel-loy-nashvilles-finest

Edited by Nickthebass
  • Like 1

Hi Nick thanks for sending that link 👍

I really enjoyed reading that but it made me think about why I got a mustang bass. I was thinking it would be more manageable and easier to play having played guitar but there she is a fairly slight petite woman with her P bass!

I will look out for long scale basses to try.

I do know what she means about acoustic guitars and I love the power of the bass through an amp but I will take my Martin guitar to my  grave. It’s good to have both.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2021 at 11:34, Ian Somerville said:

why I got a mustang bass. I was thinking it would be more manageable and easier to play having played guitar 

Just relax and let it sink in, suddenly the bass that seems so simple (what’s the bassist moaning about) as a guitarist is now sinking in. We may be more involved than you think 😂🤣

• Haha 1