Why become a member? ×

NBD- G&L SB 2 Tribute

Jonesy

Hullo!

I was wondering if any SB2 tribute owners out there could do me a favour and help me out with a quick measurement.......

I know it's 38mm at the nut, but if anyone could let me know the width at the 12th fret then I'd be extremely grateful.

Having seen the NBD threads from @RussFM and @Lfalex v1.1 as well as the various other new G&L threads, I think there may be a NBD thread on the way if the above measurement comes in about right 😉

Thanks!!

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 2

Well........a few days ago I had a knock at the door and a rather lovely box from guitaguitar arrived with my new SB2 tribute in it!

My first thought, just as the delivery guy handed it over, was......gutted, they've sent me out a guitar by mistake. A box this light can't contain a bass. To my delight, I was wrong!

The neck on it is lovely, feels really smooth and is easy to get around, with no sharp fret ends. The fret board is a touch dry, but that's easily sorted. My only niggle is the nut isn't quite cut properly and there's a bit poking out on the top of the neck. I can't say I've felt it when playing and I may have a go at removing it.

Finish wise, the matte black looks great and is really smooth. When I'm playing with a pick on some basses I have to use a wristband so I don't get stuck to the bass. Not with this though. With the smooth neck, finish and monsterous pups, this bass wants to be played with a pick.

Speaking of pups, the MFDs are a beast! Think P bass on steroids, then give it 9 pints of Stella and a flick knife. That's how aggy they are. The lack of a tone control doesn't bother me, it's plenty versatile without it. I've always been a bit unsure about PJs in the past, thinking they don't really know what they want to be, but both pups on this are great and it sounds huge.

Here's some pics. The room light makes everything a lot more amber looking than it is in reality.....

PXL_20220103_175659832.jpg

PXL_20220103_175932545.MP.jpg

PXL_20220103_175751878.jpg

PXL_20220103_175824821.MP.jpg

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 8

• Jonesy changed the title to NBD- G&L SB 2 Tribute
5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Just need some Rotosounds to complete the terror

Oh yeah, they're my round wound of choice and are on my JB. Gotta love that zing!

I think I'll play with these (some sort of D'Addario I think?) for a bit first though just because it feels weird replacing brand new strings. I may have a go at setting it up too. Wish me luck!

Congratulations on your new acquisition!

You're right about the pickups being... angry

It is possible to tame them though (turn them down!)

I reckon Rotos will sound good,  but only for about 3 minutes in my hands. They die very quickly for me. Mine came with DR Lo-Riders, which sound good and are still going strong. 

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

think I'll play with these (some sort of D'Addario I think?) for a bit first

The USA ones definitely come strung with Daddario EXL170 and think that's true of the Tributes too though I can't remember where I read that.

I had them on my first Yamaha. They age like one long slow turning of the tone knob you don't have ;)

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The USA ones definitely come strung with Daddario EXL170 and think that's true of the Tributes too though I can't remember where I read that.

I had them on my first Yamaha. They age like one long slow turning of the tone knob you don't have ;)

No silks, colour coded ball ends, definitely D'addario XL. Makes sense for G&L to use them across the board - maximise economy of scale. Also shows a degree of care put into their Tribute range - they're not prepared to cheap out on strings in order to shave a bob or two off the production costs at a cost to the user experience. I appreciate that. Good on you, G&L.

Just now, neepheid said:

No silks, colour coded ball ends, definitely D'addario XL. Makes sense for G&L to use them across the board - maximise economy of scale. Also shows a degree of care put into their Tribute range - they're not prepared to cheap out on strings in order to shave a bob or two off the production costs at a cost to the user experience. I appreciate that. Good on you, G&L.

I sometimes wonder, given how many basses are shipped with EXL170s, exactly what price companies like Yamaha and G&L pay for them. It would make sense for Daddario not to bother making any profit on them: being fitted to all but the cheapest TRBX and BB models is more than just good advertising, as I'm sure lots of players will replace like with like as and when. At any rate, I'm sure the figure is very different from, say, the £25 gear4music are asking for them.... ;)

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I sometimes wonder, given how many basses are shipped with EXL170s, exactly what price companies like Yamaha and G&L pay for them. It would make sense for Daddario not to bother making any profit on them: being fitted to all but the cheapest TRBX and BB models is more than just good advertising, as I'm sure lots of players will replace like with like as and when. At any rate, I'm sure the figure is very different from, say, the £25 gear4music are asking for them.... ;)

Of course it will be.  They'll be buying sets of strings in the thousands each year.  G&L are probably dealing with D'addario direct so they're cutting out at least 2 levels of BS/intermediaries compared to you and I buying them from a retailer. Also business to business direct trade probably sidesteps some taxes. D'addario will still make money on the strings they sell in bulk to G&L, they're not a charity ;)

57 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I should imagine that both G&L  and Yamaha buy in vast  quantities, presumably in one hit in line with the numbers dictated by their manufacturing forecasts. 

As such, the unit price will be commensurately lower.

I shouldn't imagine that D'Addario make a loss on them unless it's offset by sufficient profits from elsewhere (retail),  even then,  it doesn't strike me as good business to do less than break-even overall.

As @neepheid said, it's nice that G&L aren't cost-cutting unduly and ruining a good product in the process. 

42 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Oh good, ridicule in exchange for a perfectly valid point about advertising and product placement 🙄

I'm sorry I made you feel that way. The smiley at the end was insufficient to communicate my lack of malice and that's on me. I suspect that I'm more cynical than you.

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

Is the protective film still on the scratchplate?  

It is, yes. To my disgust! It's usually the first thing I take off a bass once I know I'm keeping it, but I grabbed these snaps quickly between jobs and didn't really notice until you mentioned it.