Why become a member? ×

Influential albums that passed you by...

Nicko

I'm listening to a 30th birthday celebration of Nevermind.  It's an album I never bought, and it never really got into my veins when it was released. 

I know most of the songs obviously but at the time it was all a bit, well, meh.  I'm the same with quite a lot of that year's "must have" albums (I didn't buy Use Your Illusion, My Bloody Valentin'e Loveless or Metallica's Black Album either). 

Looking back at the albums of the year the only ones I remember buying were Out of Time (REM), Don't Try this at Home (Billy Bragg), It's a Shame About Ray (Lemonheads) and Diamonds and Pearls (Prince) and Blood Sugar..(RHCPs).  Clearly I was backing the wrong horses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

I'm listening to a 30th birthday celebration of Nevermind.  It's an album I never bought, and it never really got into my veins when it was released. 

I know most of the songs obviously but at the time it was all a bit, well, meh.  I'm the same with quite a lot of that year's "must have" albums (I didn't buy Use Your Illusion, My Bloody Valentin'e Loveless or Metallica's Black Album either). 

Looking back at the albums of the year the only ones I remember buying were Out of Time (REM), Don't Try this at Home (Billy Bragg), It's a Shame About Ray (Lemonheads) and Diamonds and Pearls (Prince) and Blood Sugar..(RHCPs).  Clearly I was backing the wrong horses.

A brother from another mother. This just about sums up my recollection of 30 years ago, right down to the purchases you made and the reaction towards Nevermind which left me cold. 

8 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I like a couple of nirvana songs but I really think the whole grunge genre was really overrated I always remember the metal heads and grungers always scrapping obviously metal always won 😊

Not so much overrated (it was rubbish, obviously) but the arrival of grunge signalled many changes to metal as we knew it from the 80's. On top of that, weird things were happening ... Bruce Dickinson left Maiden, Vince Neil left Motley Crue, Joey Belladonna left Anthrax. On top of that, 90's metal sounds began emerging that took time to reconcile. I have never really got on with industrial as a result.  I remember feeling like someone had pulled a carpet out from underneath my feet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

Not so much overrated (it was rubbish, obviously) but the arrival of grunge signalled many changes to metal as we knew it from the 80's. On top of that, weird things were happening ... Bruce Dickinson left Maiden, Vince Neil left Motley Crue, Joey Belladonna left Anthrax. On top of that, 90's metal sounds began emerging that took time to reconcile. I have never really got on with industrial as a result.  I remember feeling like someone had pulled a carpet out from underneath my feet.

True that. I hated the sound of the Nu Metal too thing after years of enjoying what’s now referred to as Classic Rock.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bassbiscuits said:

True that. I hated the sound of the Nu Metal too thing after years of enjoying what’s now referred to as Classic Rock.  

It wasn't even the sound of nu metal that annoyed me the most - it was the LOOK.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of that statement following on from 80's spandex.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, DawnPatroller said:

It wasn't even the sound of nu metal that annoyed me the most - it was the LOOK.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of that statement following on from 80's spandex.

Ha ha! But 80s spandex, pointy guitars and massive hair was COOL! I was quite proud of my cowboy boots with rattly chains, billowing flowery shirts and hoop earrings.

No way you’re getting me in a baseball hat and a goatee tho.

Just now, bassbiscuits said:

Ha ha! But 80s spandex, pointy guitars and massive hair was COOL! I was quite proud of my cowboy boots with rattly chains, billowing flowery shirts and hoop earrings.

No way you’re getting me in a baseball hat and a goatee tho.

Ha! I wear cowboy boots everyday still. Those buckle on chains for boots were sooo cool! Haven't seen them around for many years, sadly.

We digress.

• Haha 1

As a thrash-loving teenager, all the 80's glam rock was given short shrift by me at the time. Motley Crue and The Cult were grand, they were heavy enough to be acceptable but the more poppy stuff was strictly forbidden. I realised I may have backed the wrong team, however, when I saw The Cult on the Ceremony tour and the venue was packed with fantastic looking goth ladies, quite a shocking change from the sweaty sausage-fests your average thrash or death gig tended to be, back then.

I have found an appreciation for a lot of the 80's stuff which young me would retch at. I have found myself picking up CDs by the likes of Poison, White Lion, Cinderella, even the Jovi. There were some great albums from that time which definitely passed me by.

Grunge was just fine after thrash ran out of ideas at the very start of the 90's. Nu-Metal was, is and always will be unforgivable for all involved.

Also, yeah, the Corabi and Bush albums were class then and still class now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

As a thrash-loving teenager, all the 80's glam rock was given short shrift by me at the time. Motley Crue and The Cult were grand, they were heavy enough to be acceptable but the more poppy stuff was strictly forbidden. I realised I may have backed the wrong team, however, when I saw The Cult on the Ceremony tour and the venue was packed with fantastic looking goth ladies, quite a shocking change from the sweaty sausage-fests your average thrash or death gig tended to be, back then.

I have found an appreciation for a lot of the 80's stuff which young me would retch at. I have found myself picking up CDs by the likes of Poison, White Lion, Cinderella, even the Jovi. There were some great albums from that time which definitely passed me by.

Grunge was just fine after thrash ran out of ideas at the very start of the 90's. Nu-Metal was, is and always will be unforgivable for all involved.

Also, yeah, the Corabi and Bush albums were class then and still class now.

Nailed it, as usual 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never liked any of the classic Grunge or Thrash albums. I guess I was never that much of a heavy rocker. Equally there were a fair few indie bands that got raved about that just weren't for me. For an avid consumer of music, there seems to be a lot that passed me by. 

With the internet it's easier to avoid the things you don't like. Growing up, there was no escaping the bands I didn't care for as they'd be all over the music press and TV shows like The Chart Show and Raw Power. 

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Oasis’s entire career completely passed me by. At the time i missed out on the whole Britpop thing to be honest.

Then I got to relive it anyway for the next 25 years in a variety of pub bands. Lucky me eh. 

I also “missed out” on Britpop. Listening to the music years later Pulp were interesting but a lot of it to my ears is inflicted with Beatle-esque melodies. A curse that haunts British music.

• Haha 1