Why become a member? ×

Preamps/Overdrives

Springywheel

My current recording set up is a Hudson sidecar and Cali76 (looking for a bass version if anyone's selling) direct in to a focusrite with the instrument level switch on. I'm using torpedo cab in my daw. I do like the way it sounds but have no frame of reference with other bass setups (I'm primarily a guitar player) Would it be an improvement acquiring a proper bass preamp, or do overdrive pedals pretty much do the same job? I'm under the impression that they both serve the same purpose, just under different names.

Edited by Springywheel

“Better” sounding is always subjective, of course.  While I’m not familiar with the sidecar, you already like the result so adding in a dedicated preamp will likely only give you a small upgrade in overall quality.  A good preamp can usually add a little something to you sound, as well as giving you eq and overdrive options. You do not need a bass-specific one necessarily. I have a couple of different preamps that I use for recording and they are both an improvement over the preamp in my interface.

If it is only for recording purposes then EQ can be precisely added during mixing. As the preamp does the heavy lifting in terms of boosting a tiny voltage to a useable one then it is worth investing in this step of the chain.  A simple setup such as bass > Cali 76 > Preamp > interface should give big clean sounds. If a bit of grit or OD is required then a bass-specific preamp will probably let you dial that in.

If you get a decent (non bass specific) preamp you can use it for your acoustic guitars and vocals etc. as well as bass.

In my (admittedly limited) experience the preamps in the Focusrite interfaces are really quite good and you'll have to spend quite a lot to buy a third party preamp that sounds noticeably better. That leaves us with buying one to add character, and that's what plugins are for I guess. 

A good preamp does more than just overdrive though, just like with guitar there's a difference using an overdrive pedal into the pa/studio or going via an amp instead. 

Edited by Jack