Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

6 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

@gapiro - what colour is your 55-02? surely that's almost the same thing in a different colour?

well

yes and no

my 55-01 is 'natural' or whatever they call natural but has a different pickup and a different preamp to the original

The fact is  I bought the pair of lakland (laklandi?) that I own , both in 2011. I have a 55-01 (sorry , made a mistake before!) and a lakland owners group special ('LOG Bass') and haven't bought a conventional bass guitar since. (I have bought a fretless and a double bass since mind) because I like them _that much_ 
So getting the 'best version' of what I like seems like a logical step

Edited by gapiro

49 minutes ago, gapiro said:

The fact is  I bought the pair of lakland

I think more aptly the correct term from an English gent would be “I’ve bagged meself a fine brace of laklands dontchano”

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Thump said:

Good luck! I've yet to make it out of the Edinburgh store with an intact wallet

I made it out of there yesterday with just a new set of strings. Which AFAIK doesn't count. I was dreading finding a nice five-string Precision on sale.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lozkerr said:

I made it out of there yesterday with just a new set of strings. Which AFAIK doesn't count. I was dreading finding a nice five-string Precision on sale.

Definitely doesn't count , i've priced up new strings recently. Thankfully i was sitting down. 😂

Out of curiosity did they ever install a machine for turning you upside down and shaking you by the ankles as you leave? Just to make sure they got every last penny from you.

I haven't been for over a year now , really need to pay a visit but leave my cards at home / remove small change from pockets in case they have a machine...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Last year's thread topped out at 8 pages by year end. This one's already up to 17 and it's not even the end of Jan...😁 

Its a dangerous month for me, stuck isolating this week with wages in the bank and me desperately avoiding (trying anyway , admittedly not too hard) looking at a teal blue Yamaha BB on guitarguitars website. I think i can win this battle 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thump said:

Its a dangerous month for me, stuck isolating this week with wages in the bank and me desperately avoiding (trying anyway , admittedly not too hard) looking at a teal blue Yamaha BB on guitarguitars website. I think i can win this battle 

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like both the 4 and 5 string Teal Blue ones are not it stock. Available to order only.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thump said:

Famous final words 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Famous final words 😉

Reckon i'll be fine in the end , there is always the thought of the Mrs intercepting a delivery 😂

The one i'd go for would probably be the BBP34 in midnight blue which is out of price range anyway. Perhaps a little later in the year 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Strings are consumables so I don't think that counts.  I am probably going to buy a gig bag soon, but that is to replace one which is coming apart at the seams - I believe replacing defective things is allowed.

So I can replace a bass because it's defective - it has one too few strings?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm doing alright, seen a couple of well priced basses but nothing i'd keep. Since selling 2, i've put more attention on the ones that are actually here, which so far is proving to work well. So much so in fact, i'm considering selling one more of them, but knowing the money would very much burn a hole in my pocket. I'm not sure I have a 'gap' that needs filling, in terms of tone currently.

• Like 1

The most dangerous moment for me when I was in Glasgow on Monday was seeing one of those Projectbass Curbow-like things in a pawn shop window for >£150.  That made me linger for a moment before scurrying away ;)

Instead I did something productive and copper shielded my G&L Tribute LB-100 last night.  And I'll have to go back to it because I ran out of copper tape before I could do the underside of the pickguard around the pickup, so that'll take up another evening of idle hands that might otherwise click on a "Add to basket" button.

Presuming that copper tape doesn't count as "gear"...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

I'm finding that adding items to a wishlist is providing me with an automatic "cooling-off" period. I look at the list a month or two later and the moment of GAS has definitely gone for several items. 

Liking the various comments on here about how folk are modding / getting the most of their existing gear, rather than buying new stuff. Gonna see if I can get the very bulbous neck on my Stagg EUB trimmed to make it easier to play (by someone who knows what they're doing!) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm finding that adding items to a wishlist is providing me with an automatic "cooling-off" period. I look at the list a month or two later and the moment of GAS has definitely gone for several items. 

Liking the various comments on here about how folk are modding / getting the most of their existing gear, rather than buying new stuff. Gonna see if I can get the very bulbous neck on my Stagg EUB trimmed to make it easier to play (by someone who knows what they're doing!) 

I’m finding that disciplined piano practice is stopping any GAS; can’t lust if I can’t scroll and think about anything beyond what my fingers are doing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I sold one of my basses as it was just sitting unused, A great bass and all, a Mayones Jabba 4. I'm trying to be minimalist and use the one-in, one -out rule but it's very hard to shift gear lately :( .

I have struggled to sell anything on FB/Gumtree etc, but via comm sale at BassDirect, everything has gone in a couple of weeks at a price I wanted (more than FB !)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m finding that disciplined piano practice is stopping any GAS; can’t lust if I can’t scroll and think about anything beyond what my fingers are doing. 

Good plan. And you're actually making music rather than spending time thinking about getting gear with the intention of using it one day to make music!

We should set up GAS-aholics anonymous...oh wait, that's what this thread is (other than the anonymous bit)!

I also find it's great to ask the question "would my bands or our audiences notice any difference?" or "which bass would this new one replace?".

Then I spot something like this, which wouldn't look remiss sitting on a @ped-al shelf, and know full well that both my bands and the audience would notice the difference. Just maybe not a positive one!

image.thumb.png.84f6bd8aac4d1c2d1c758d244f36fdec.png

I've put it on my wishlist. And, unfortunately, a couple of months later, it's still there. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Good plan. And you're actually making music rather than spending time thinking about getting gear with the intention of using it one day to make music!

We should set up GAS-aholics anonymous...oh wait, that's what this thread is (other than the anonymous bit)!

I also find it's great to ask the question "would my bands or our audiences notice any difference?" or "which bass would this new one replace?".

Then I spot something like this, which wouldn't look remiss sitting on a @ped-al shelf, and know full well that both my bands and the audience would notice the difference. Just maybe not a positive one!

image.thumb.png.84f6bd8aac4d1c2d1c758d244f36fdec.png

I've put it on my wishlist. And, unfortunately, a couple of months later, it's still there. 😁

It’s on mine to. 

• Like 1

• Silvia Bluejay changed the title to Gear abstinence thread
  • bassfan changed the title to 2022 Gear abstinence thread