Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

3 hours ago, Merton said:

What is it? This is now the important detail! 🤓

First is a fretless bitsa from young Beedster of this ere den of iniquity. Then perhaps a 5 string fretless but not sure which one yet, so that doesn’t count. 
Then a pedal, but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, so that doesn’t count either. 
So I’m practically back in again really… 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

First is a fretless bitsa from young Beedster of this ere den of iniquity. Then perhaps a 5 string fretless but not sure which one yet, so that doesn’t count. 
Then a pedal, but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, so that doesn’t count either. 

That bitsa does look nice 👍

29 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

The bitsa looks great, I wobbled over that one too!

It’s a 42mm nut width, so, perfect! What else could I do, I’m helpless when all the ingredients are there:

Maple top Y

Unlined.    Y

P width.    Y

Body P shaped.  Y(practically)
Decent P pup.    Y(definitely)

Abstinence? Me? After that list? What were they thinking? 

668CD98A-1B92-46B7-8BB6-D8A876A3B3C6.jpeg

Edited by oldslapper
  • Haha 2

Need to check with the powers that be:

I had started the order process for a Shuker build with Jon last year and had all the specs down except for the neck depth; I had even been in and chosen the neck and fingerboard wood blanks. I finally paid the deposit last night so my question is, is that exempt? (If it helps, I sold a bass last week, the funds from which I have used as the deposit.) If not, then I guess I’m out in a fairly spectacular manner. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Need to check with the powers that be:

I had started the order process for a Shuker build with Jon last year and had all the specs down except for the neck depth; I had even been in and chosen the neck and fingerboard wood blanks. I finally paid the deposit last night so my question is, is that exempt? (If it helps, I sold a bass last week, the funds from which I have used as the deposit.) If not, then I guess I’m out in a fairly spectacular manner. 

I've had a couple of relatively detailed spec discussions with Jon over the years, lovely bloke! But he's never made me a bass.

At what point did the contract become binding on both parties?

Now you have paid the deposit does Jon have to provide you a bass? If you hadn't paid the deposit, would he have started work on it? 

You're out 😁

However my Bo Selecta has been returned for a full refund without ever making it to my PB, so on that basis I should technically be back in as I've had zero new kit since the start of the year.

Buuuut...there are several bits of gear that have caught my attention e.g. an entire pedal board replacement in the shape of a Zoom B6 later in the year. So the boss, aka @bassfan, has rightly said my heart's clearly not in this endeavour and I need to remain with him and many others out in the cold waiting for @AndyTravis to join us. It's only a matter of time.

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've had a couple of relatively detailed spec discussions with Jon over the years, lovely bloke! But he's never made me a bass.

At what point did the contract become binding on both parties?

Now you have paid the deposit does Jon have to provide you a bass? If you hadn't paid the deposit, would he have started work on it? 

You're out 😁

I disagree. I had pretty much the full spec and had gone in and reserved two chunks of wood (which ordinarily he’d only do after a deposit has been paid); I’d already said I wanted to pay him a deposit last year but he asked me to wait until the spec was finalised.

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

I disagree. I had pretty much the full spec and had gone in and reserved two chunks of wood (which ordinarily he’d only do after a deposit has been paid); I’d already said I wanted to pay him a deposit last year but he asked me to wait until the spec was finalised.

In other words, it was already a done deal last year. 

I’m pretty sure it’s when the final money changes hands and you get the instrument. For example I have a bass arriving this year that was paid for last year; it doesn’t count. If I’d started a build last year but was only paying when it arrives this year, I’d be out.

if this Shuker build has only just been kicked off with a deposit it’s possible it may not see the light of day until 2023 so you may still be in on a technicality….. maybe 😃 @bassfan can come along and advise soon I’m sure 🙂

4 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’m pretty sure it’s when the final money changes hands and you get the instrument. For example I have a bass arriving this year that was paid for last year; it doesn’t count. If I’d started a build last year but was only paying when it arrives this year, I’d be out.

if this Shuker build has only just been kicked off with a deposit it’s possible it may not see the light of day until 2023 so you may still be in on a technicality….. maybe 😃 @bassfan can come along and advise soon I’m sure 🙂

I’d argue that it’s when the commitment was made. I have had a MIDIbass on order since 2019 with $1500 paid up front. If that were to miraculously appear this year, I would not be counting that either. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Does enforced abstinence due to lack of available funds, thanks to car service & repairs/new specs/house maintenance/{insert next item in seemingly endless fckin list here}, actually count as proper abstinence? I'm guessing not.

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You know there's not a prize at the end of this, right?

That’s fine. My inclusion stops me from just going nuts and buying more pedals and such though. If I’m out then I’ll likely be buying a nano q tron quicker thank it takes to bring a suitcase of wine to a “work meeting”.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Does enforced abstinence due to lack of available funds, thanks to car service & repairs/new specs/house maintenance/{insert next item in seemingly endless fckin list here}, actually count as proper abstinence? I'm guessing not.

Awww that doesn't sound fun. 

Any decent paid gigs on the horizon? 

My theory is if you ordered it last year. Paid a deposit but for whatever reason it’s not here yet and arrives middle of this year. You are in. Life’s too short. The fact Jon takes his time to build you a beautiful bass (and you can’t pay until it’s finished)  or there’s no stock of midi components due to covid then that’s not our fault.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bassfan said:

My theory is if you ordered it last year. Paid a deposit but for whatever reason it’s not here yet and arrives middle of this year. You are in. Life’s too short. The fact Jon takes his time to build you a beautiful bass (and you can’t pay until it’s finished)  or there’s no stock of midi components due to covid then that’s not our fault.

It’s a bit nuanced: as mentioned I had the whole spec except the neck depth finalised last year and had chosen the wood stock in person. Jon didn’t want me to pay a deposit until the final spec measurements were in. (I still need to specify a final shade for the body, but that can wait until he’s at the point of paint mixing.) So there was at least a verbal contract in place last year, though I only finally paid the big deposit yesterday. (I certainly wasn’t going to go to all the trouble of having a 100-email correspondence getting all the details sorted to then waste his time by backing out.)

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It’s a bit nuanced: as mentioned I had the whole spec except the neck depth finalised last year and had chosen the wood stock in person. Jon didn’t want me to pay a deposit until the final spec measurements were in. (I still need to specify a final shade for the body, but that can wait until he’s at the point of paint mixing.) So there was at least a verbal contract in place last year, though I only finally paid the big deposit yesterday. (I certainly wasn’t going to go to all the trouble of having a 100-email correspondence getting all the details sorted to then waste his time by backing out.)

🤔…….. in. I’m sure there’s a lynch mob assembling somewhere now. 😂 

Edited by bassfan
Fat fingers enabling others sarcasm 😂
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Also, the MIDIbass is a different thing; that’s from Industrial Radio in Australia. 

• Silvia Bluejay changed the title to Gear abstinence thread
  • bassfan changed the title to 2022 Gear abstinence thread