Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

11 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I am glad my reputation has calmed down (despite the damning evidence of 13 pages of feedback) so that I am not in consideration. Besides, I collected a new (old) bass on New Year's Day 🤣

Paid for in 2021? Or not even trying to stay in on a technicality? 😉😂

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Paid for in 2021? Or not even trying to stay in on a technicality? 😉😂

Paid for in 2021 so I guess thats my 'out'

This gives me an idea for a Gear T@rt thread based on the number of pages of Feedback. Sadly I suspect I will "win" (cough) with @Old Horse Murphy fast closing (on 12 pages) and @AndyTravis a surprisingly limp 8!

Edit: obbm and Kiogon trounce me totally (16 and 23 pages respectively) due to the high volume of sales of their most excellent cables and wiring looms, respectively

Edited by Clarky

3 minutes ago, Clarky said:

This gives me an idea for a Gear T@rt thread based on the number of pages of Feedback. Sadly I suspect I will "win" (cough) with @Old Horse Murphy fast closing (on 12 pages) and @AndyTravis a surprisingly limp 8!

Well, as I have stated - I feel my reputation is somewhat unfair 😂

but there’s nowt limp about my 8 😂😂😂😉

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Edit: obbm and Kiogon trounce me totally (16 and 23 pages respectively) due to the high volume of sales of their most excellent cables and wiring looms, respectively

In fairness, people have obviously used a bigger font on my feedback thread. Either that or they've just typed more words...yes, that's it; more words 🤔

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bunion said:

and lessons to be learned. 
you bought it aaaaand… 

“YOOURR OOUT!!”

Now if the seller had only pulled his finger out and listed it 4 days ago, I'd still be in...just gotta deal with the hand that fate gives you right? 😁

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

So digging out the previous "rules of the game"...

(BASS) GEAR ABSTINENCE CHALLENGE 2020 2022 – RULES OF THE GAME

Why? To focus on making the most of the existing gear we have rather than get distracted by the next ‘shiny new thing’.

What’s a fail? Any purchase or trade of new or used bass gear. 'Bass gear' = anything in your signal chain that you use to make or augment your bass sound /tone.

basses, amps, cabs, pedals, PA gear (if your bass is DI’d into this)

What’s ok? Anything to look after or organise your existing gear or wear & tear related. Any non-bass gear. 

strings, gig bags, leads, pedal boards, PSUs for pedal boards, repairs or identical replacement of existing kit, lessons, software related to existing kit

non-bass musical gear (this came under a stricter Tier 2 for the completely hair shirted last year) e.g. music software not related to existing kit, keyboards, guitars, drum machines etc.

By concession: unsolicited gifts of gear where you had no say in the matter!

When? Any purchases between 1 Jan 2020 2022 to 31 Dec 2020 2022

@bassfan - have I found the loophole in getting an identical replacement of a previously owned pedal? Just asking for a friend of yours...

close the draw…now…you’re out. Out out out, out. Gone… not ere no more,

unfollow the thread. Be gone…

😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

have I found the loophole in getting an identical replacement of a previously owned pedal? Just asking for a friend of yours...

I don’t think a 14 month break is replacing an existing piece of kit 🤣😂🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Why? To focus on making the most of the existing gear we have rather than get distracted by the next ‘shiny new thing’.

What’s a fail? Any purchase or trade of new or used bass gear. 'Bass gear' = anything in your signal chain that you use to make or augment your bass sound /tone.

What’s ok? Anything to look after or organise your existing gear or wear & tear related. Any non-bass gear. 

strings, gig bags, leads, pedal boards, PSUs for pedal boards, repairs or identical replacement of existing kit, lessons, software related to existing kit

non-bass musical gear (this came under a stricter Tier 2 for the completely hair shirted last year) e.g. music software not related to existing kit, keyboards, guitars, drum machines etc.

@bassfan - have I found the loophole in getting an identical replacement of a previously owned pedal? Just asking for a friend of yours...

I reckon you’re just OUT!!! 😂

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I know an ex-Naval helicopter pilot (part-Greek) who may well need your assistance with small print....

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Here’s something…

Is acceptance of trades of a lesser value +cash your way (so no spend) allowed?

Or is it the taking on of new gear

Not looking for an out…honest, guv.

🥴

It's the taking on of new gear, the principle being to be satisfied with what we have.

Though the reason I join in and follow the thread is to witness the sheer imagination and ingenuity that goes into the excuses and attempts to wriggle round that simple premis. 😅

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Richard R said:

It's the taking on of new gear, the principle being to be satisfied with what we have.

Though the reason I join in and follow the thread is to witness the sheer imagination and ingenuity that goes into the excuses and attempts to wriggle round that simple premis. 😅

Ok, ok, ok…was just throwing ideas around 😂

• Haha 1