Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

Likewise mate haha 😆 

I’m already out though, I commissioned a new Zoot bass this year which will be making its way home in 2022. Though to be fair it was paid for this year too, so does that really count for my 2021 intake?

If it’s paid for in 2021, then it’s 2021 stock…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Merton said:

Winning.

I’m still out though. I can feel it in my bones 😅

I’m sort of done for BB’s - I’ve owned everything bar a 3000, the early ones don’t do it for me and the new ones don’t either.

So unless yamaha do a bb3000 reissue, I’m ok there.

We’ll see - amp is something I’m wondering about - should’ve kept my Reidmar. Absolute dummy move that.

33 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m sort of done for BB’s - I’ve owned everything bar a 3000, the early ones don’t do it for me and the new ones don’t either.

So unless yamaha do a bb3000 reissue, I’m ok there.

We’ll see - amp is something I’m wondering about - should’ve kept my Reidmar. Absolute dummy move that.

Amps are, for once, something I’m quite comfortable with, the Glock has just blown everything else out of the water to the point I don’t feel any GAS for anything else*. But I do feel the need for a tiny back up head - more for the sale of buying something than any real need or fear of the Glock giving up. That’s where I’d put my money on my failure to succeed with this 😃

*unless a blackface Mesa Walkabout head appears. Irrational want rather than need.

Is the MK500 not doing it for you?

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Allowances:

- If you have put down a deposit on something before committing to this, which then requires a final payment within 2019, that single payment permitted. However you may wish to explore whether you can pay the balance early (if you're a little OCD like me).

Nah. You’re in mate. You’ve been waiting got it for a year. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Downunderwonder said:

I'd give you a pass on strings seeing some change them more  often than their underpants. Call them semi durable consumables.

My rounds haven’t been changed in four years as basses recently left wardrobe for first since we moved in. I’ve had four years of DIY to get this place ship shape …

flats may suit my life better 

I faced adversity today and did NOT buy the gorgeous Yamaha TRB1006 in red I saw of which I have wanted since 2005. Hopefully, I can maintain this posture for the most part, and hope to buy fewer than 4 this coming year (with a similar or higher number sold).

@AndyTravis Are we placing bets on my success ?

Edited by Machines

17 minutes ago, Machines said:

I faced adversity today and did NOT buy the gorgeous Yamaha TRB1006 in red I saw of which I have wanted since 2005. Hopefully, I can maintain this posture for the most part, and hope to buy fewer than 4 this coming year (with a similar or higher number sold).

@AndyTravis Are we placing bets on my success ?

I don’t bet, I’m too skint from buying basses

14 hours ago, neepheid said:

What are the rules regarding basses which are pending arrrival with a deposit down?  Are we going by arrival date, or the date the purchase decision (and deposit payment) was made?

You know how a jinx is usually a bad thing?

Just got the email that the bass is in and ready to be paid for. Reverse jinx, it would seem. Payment will be done before the end of the year.

I'm suddenly reminded of the scenes in Trainspotting when Renton gets ready to kick heroin with supplies (soup, buckets, lucozade, valium, a TV), barricades himself in the room, then realises he forgot something, breaks out of the room, procures opium suppositories, has a bathroom incident, then finally gets back and then proclaims "and now, I'm ready".

TL:DR - I'm in.

Go on then, count me in. 

A combination of having a few unfinished projects (parts already bought) and last year getting a bit expensive, means I have no need to be buying anything other than strings 'n' things this year. 

Maybe even sell some stuff. 

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

Do gig bags count?

Depends on the need and quality. If replacing a shagged worn out one for like then I would keep it quiet. Same as for a cable or set of strings or a dead pedal or amp that wasn't worth repairing.

Personally I wouldn't mind a pass for a Flash Harry pack bag if it fills a proper need like enabling a single trip load in that couldn't be done bass in case.

To me the focus of the thread is slowing down the collection of amps and basses that really only see a stage to justify their existence.

Two of each should really suffice, for the purposes of stage backup, but I can't claim to be in that distinguished club, not by a long shot. Don't ask.

There should be another thread. I will start it...