Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Hmm, I detect potential shenanigans. ;) 

Oh yeah,

:useless:

Point 1: Not at all - the abstinence thing came up quite naturally in conversation a while back (probably about cost of living).  No puppy dog eyes were deployed!

Point 2:

01_all.jpg.b17b3f526fc686d4c6cf8d0369f0cc5c.jpg

02_body.jpg.25368e98ad479720167697e2971a3c9a.jpg

03_headstock.jpg.9c5fe9367420ca3638aa91fc53e5a27d.jpg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Point 1: Not at all - the abstinence thing came up quite naturally in conversation a while back (probably about cost of living).  No puppy dog eyes were deployed!

Point 2:

01_all.jpg.b17b3f526fc686d4c6cf8d0369f0cc5c.jpg

02_body.jpg.25368e98ad479720167697e2971a3c9a.jpg

03_headstock.jpg.9c5fe9367420ca3638aa91fc53e5a27d.jpg

Point one - your Mrs doesn’t glaze over when you talk about basses or the forum? Cool!

Point two - your Mrs bought you that? Cool!

You might want to see if one of your legs is longer than the other, as I was pulling one of them earlier ;).

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Point one - your Mrs doesn’t glaze over when you talk about basses or the forum? Cool!

Point two - your Mrs bought you that? Cool!

You might want to see if one of your legs is longer than the other, as I was pulling one of them earlier ;).

Damn you, I'll be walking in circles now ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

I need an adjudication. 

I have acquired a bass.  My wife bought me it while we were on holiday - she was aware of my participation in this thread and offered to buy me a bass if I found one I liked. 

Am I still in?  I think I'm out because it was not a 100% surprise and I had a say in what the bass was.  It was 100% lovely of her to do that though!

I await your decision...

You’re in but you’re wife can no longer take part. I’m sure she is devastated 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I too need an adjudication.

Following the fun and games I had with potential tinnitus and building a personal IEM system earlier this year, I've snapped up a Shure PSM200 wireless setup to replace the wired Behringer belt pack I was using.

Strictly speaking, I don't need it. It doesn't go in the signal chain, buuuuuuuut...

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

In response to above, I don't think monitoring stuff counts - it's PPE, innit and removing a wire makes it safer, so I think this is fair enough.

So, October now, who's still in, apart from me?

In that case, I'm still in. Twelve weeks to go...

5 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

In that case, I'm still in. Twelve weeks to go...

I have Christmas AND a birthday to navigate in that time.  I have £500 burning a hole in a savings pot in my bank account that was set aside for the utilities price hike which never (fully) happened.  I have ideas of making my Epiphone Les Paul passive again, and fitting a 10 way switch to my Reverend Triad.

Neither things need to be done this year.  Must.  Stay.  Strong.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I have Christmas AND a birthday to navigate in that time.  I have £500 burning a hole in a savings pot in my bank account that was set aside for the utilities price hike which never (fully) happened.  I have ideas of making my Epiphone Les Paul passive again, and fitting a 10 way switch to my Reverend Triad.

Neither things need to be done this year.  Must.  Stay.  Strong.

Aye. Just Say No, kids 🙂 

I’m up to twenty something basses , there’s only one I have any interest in selling , and the house I live in has too much stuff in it. I watch kijiji like a hawk and generally have a sock tucked away with some musical emergency cash. Last year was good , I only dragged three or four new strays home. Couple amps as well though …

I’m not sure I can manage zero growth , but I’m going to try some restraint. 
Talked a friend into buying a Westone Rail several days back. Even spending their money…

Edited by msb

4 minutes ago, msb said:

I’m up to twenty something basses , there’s only one I have any interest in selling , and the house I live in has too much stuff in it. I watch kijiji like a hawk and generally have a sock tucked away with some musical emergency cash. Last year was good , I only dragged three or four new strays home.

I’m not sure I can manage zero growth , but I’m going to try some restraint. 
Talked a friend into buying a Westone Rail several days back. Even spending their money…

A bad case :(  I do understand, I can fully relate to this situation :)  I keep repeating the mantra "I do not need an upright bass again, remind me why I swapped the last one for an EUB"

Edited by 3below

On 04/08/2022 at 14:12, lozkerr said:

I too need an adjudication.

Following the fun and games I had with potential tinnitus and building a personal IEM system earlier this year, I've snapped up a Shure PSM200 wireless setup to replace the wired Behringer belt pack I was using.

Strictly speaking, I don't need it. It doesn't go in the signal chain, buuuuuuuut...

How are you finding it? Decent quality step up from the Behringer in terms of sound quality?

I've been pretty crap at not getting new kit this year (surprise, surprise) but, fingers crossed I may end the year having sold more than I've bought particularly if I manage to substantially fund getting a replacement PA in by selling one of my bass cabs. In particular, I've managed to sell a couple of basses and not bought a bass in 18 months, and can for the first time in several years get all my electric basses onto one bass rack... 

Trouble is that rack still has space for 7 basses! I love the fact that so many of the pro bass players (ok not @cetera, haha!) on this forum just have 2 or 3 basses which they gig the hell out of.

• Haha 1

I’ve had an upright for over twenty years now although most gigs are electric. (and a good friend here has six uprights) Mine’s just an old German plywood job. Does the job.
My friend works on them , and can’t help himself. 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Trouble is that rack still has space for 7 basses! I love the fact that so many of the pro bass players (ok not @cetera, haha!) on this forum just have 2 or 3 basses which they gig the hell out of.

I don’t have room for racks , but I have nooks where they pile up.

2C10E7B5-D8A3-47A4-BD43-26C6F1C99267.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tauzero said:

... I'm sure I've got everything I want...

I kinda thought that at the end of last year...and the year before that...oh, and the one previous to that...and actually the one prior  ...and   ...and    ...