Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

I've bought some bits and bobs to make a personal IEM mixer after being blasted with noise at our last gig. It took ten days for the ringing to subside.

No changes to the signal path though, so I'm technically still in, I think.

7 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

I've bought some bits and bobs to make a personal IEM mixer after being blasted with noise at our last gig. It took ten days for the ringing to subside.

You're still in.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 12:47, lozkerr said:

What are you using for the IEM set up? I had to do a similar thing for my last band who were off the scale loud. I am no longer with them and the volume was a big cause in me leaving the band...that and the singers giant ego!

14 hours ago, theplumber said:

What are you using for the IEM set up? I had to do a similar thing for my last band who were off the scale loud. I am no longer with them and the volume was a big cause in me leaving the band...that and the singers giant ego!

I've described it in detail in this thread:

Why was the thread title changed?  As this is a yearly event, isn't the year an important part of the title?

Apologies if that sounded aggro - I'm going through bass cold turkey here, it's bound to make a person tetchy sometimes ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Why was the thread title changed?  As this is a yearly event, isn't the year an important part of the title?

Apologies if that sounded aggro - I'm going through bass cold turkey here, it's bound to make a person tetchy sometimes ;)

Oh dear, on the brink are we ?

:P

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2022 at 11:31, bass_dinger said:

It looks like I am out.

I purchased a battery status checker, from zvirus.  It is designed to fit into the bass, and illuminate an LED when the battery voltage drops below a predetermined level (7.5v for mine).

I also need to pay my luthier to fit the item  - holes drilled, switches and LEDs installed. 

I was getting fed up with buying batteries every month, on the off-chance that they were about to expire. 

On the plus side, I can finally use up the six old batteries that I have in my kit case....

Thanks, all. The Gear Abstinence thread has been a great discipline!

On 26/04/2022 at 06:04, Al Krow said:

Agreed. 

@bass_dinger you're going to have to try a lot harder than that to get out. You're certainly not licked yet 😁

So, I tried harder.  

A recent trip to the luthier diagnosed my buzzing frets as a serious curve to the neck.  By serious, I mean noticeable, becoming unplayable, and very expensive to repair. 

A post on Basschat found me both a luthier that offered advice and help - and another bass, which I collected on Saturday. 

So, I have mothballed the old green XB500, and loosened off the strings to prevent more damage.   The Green XB500 has now been replaced by an ash XB500.  It's lighter, and there are a few other differences too - photos to follow.

However, a new bass feels like I am properly out! 

Edited by bass_dinger
Clarification that I bought a new bass!

On 16/05/2022 at 10:37, neepheid said:

You need locking in a dark room! 😂 

I will change it for you…. 😃

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• bassfan changed the title to 2022 Gear abstinence thread
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a moment of weakness - I tried to track down a bass I sold about 6 years ago. Got as far as speaking to the guy I sold it to. He had moved it on, it's in Manchester now and he said he'd ask the current owner to get in touch. They haven't been in touch so I guess either the guy didn't pass on my details or they don't want to sell it. So I'm still in. Phew!

• Haha 1

Another month passes and I find myself 5 months into 2022 without a purchase. Hand on heart, I’ve wobbled a few times and had abstinence obliterating conversations about various basses with their respective sellers, but as of 1-6-2022, I’m still in. No one is more surprised than me I can tell you 😂

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still in for 2022.  I play fantasy GAS sometimes, (for example I've never played a Stingray even though one of my favourite bass players does)  but the reality is I don't have the money or the necessity to buy more gear.  In fact I should probably be selling some of what I've already got as I really only play one of my ACGs at the moment.   I now play my ACG 5 string with a really good Community Concert Band so what I have is being used.  I can't stand reading Tuba parts though - always written an octave lower than electric bass and never easy to read the low notes way below the stave.  And don't get me started on arrangements of rock songs that have been transposed from the original key such that it makes it almost impossible to play the original riff how it was meant to be played!  But I'm loving it.

Edited by TorturedSaints
  • Like 1

I didn’t openly declare any intention to be GAS free at the start of the year but I’d privately told myself I mustn’t spend any more money on gear.

Unfortunately I’ve failed and a new (to me) bass will be winging its way to me shortly.

So, the only saving grace is that I’ll have to invoke the one-in, one-out rule to maintain the status quo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

I didn’t openly declare any intention to be GAS free at the start of the year but I’d privately told myself I mustn’t spend any more money on gear.

Unfortunately I’ve failed and a new (to me) bass will be winging its way to me shortly.

So, the only saving grace is that I’ll have to invoke the one-in, one-out rule to maintain the status quo. 

4 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I’m out - 5 months wasn’t a bad effort though. 

Would you guys care to put some meat on the bones of your posts? 

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

I had a fairly dramatic slide - three Precision basses in six weeks, and three ABM combos in the same period. Also two sets of strings. It's the strings that did it, honest.

If you’re gonna go, go BIG!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I had a fairly dramatic slide - three Precision basses in six weeks, and three ABM combos in the same period. Also two sets of strings. It's the strings that did it, honest.

Over-indulged on strings there big time, Dave.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Would you guys care to put some meat on the bones of your posts? 

I’ve bought briansbrew’s black/maple precision as I’m a sucker for that combination and for that price I couldn’t resist. 🙂

• Like 3