Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

Doesn't look like it's going to be hard at all this year. 

Went into GAK and saw the most basses in the flesh that I've seen in one place for a while. 

And was utterly unmoved to the point that I didn't even touch any of them. 

None of them appealed to  me at all.

If something on my bass hit list turns up, then maybe I'll buy another, but I don't need anything else except strings and to fix the bloody Warwick and its stupid tuners and exploding JAN II.

I'm not Wile.E. Coyote, and they're not ACME, so why have 5 tuners and a nut all gone bang in less than a month?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Doesn't look like it's going to be hard at all this year. 

Went into GAK and saw the most basses in the flesh that I've seen in one place for a while. 

And was utterly unmoved to the point that I didn't even touch any of them. 

None of them appealed to  me at all.

If something on my bass hit list turns up, then maybe I'll buy another, but I don't need anything else except strings and to fix the bloody Warwick and its stupid tuners and exploding JAN II.

I'm not Wile.E. Coyote, and they're not ACME, so why have 5 tuners and a nut all gone bang in less than a month?

Poor quality on an expensive bass sadly it happens 

42 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

The more I think about it, the happier I am with my current collection. 

There's always room for one more, but it's going to have to be really rather good to make the grade. 

Was this intended for the "Bad Jokes" thread??

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2022 at 14:38, Quatschmacher said:

I’m hoping to get to try it at the weekend. 

I had a quick play on the Shuker today. It's absolutely sublime and although the nut is listed at 44mm it feels nowhere near that big as it's quite shallow front to back. It's a lovely weight too and if I wasn't already fully P-bassed up I'd have taken it home. 

Hope it works out for you. 

31 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I had a quick play on the Shuker today. It's absolutely sublime and although the nut is listed at 44mm it feels nowhere near that big as it's quite shallow front to back. It's a lovely weight too and if I wasn't already fully P-bassed up I'd have taken it home. 

Hope it works out for you. 

Glad to hear it. would definitely like to try this before sending my specs to Jon. 

You didn’t happen to try the white fender jazz deluxe that has now reappeared did you? Wondering if it’s any good, given someone has obviously returned it. 

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

Glad to hear it. would definitely like to try this before sending my specs to Jon. 

You didn’t happen to try the white fender jazz deluxe that has now reappeared did you? Wondering if it’s any good, given someone has obviously returned it. 

I didn't, sorry. 

The Shuker really was a lovely bass. I was sorely tempted 

• Thanks 1

I'm probably out due to wanting a Hipshot Bass Xtender, a TC Polytune 3 Mini Noir and possibly a Mooer Drum pedal to practice to. But, unless there's a really great surprise in both my income and a lefty bass release that's so far up my alley it's almost deeply intimate, then definitely no new bass this year.

Hmmm. I visited Bass Direct this afternoon to have a look at some really lightweight basses Mark had in stock. 

Back in October I had a major operation on my back/flank due to ongoing issues (mostly caused by rugby). To make matters worse, I developed an abscess, so had to have a bloody drain fitted for three weeks. It was taken out yesterday and the only thing I can imagine feels remotely close to how I feel is being let out of prison!

As a result, my maximum bearable weight for a bass is just over 8 1/2-9lbs. Anything even slightly heavier causes me real issues.

Anyway, this Stingray Special weighs in a just under 8 1/2lbs and is virtually mint, having been used sparingly by its previous owner. After a quick play it was a done deal. These are retailing at something like £2,800 now (if you can find one) which is (to me) insane. 

I did p/x some bits, so it wasn't all one way traffic I hasten to add. It's not an excuse, promise. I guess you can say I'm well and truly out though!

55FAE1B9-B4DD-4B66-BAC3-2DE0990DCCE0.jpeg

B857FE89-F3C5-464C-B2DB-44A734C959B8.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 11

41 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Hmmm. I visited Bass Direct this afternoon to have a look at some really lightweight basses Mark had in stock. 

Back in October I had a major operation on my back/flank due to ongoing issues (mostly caused by rugby) and as a result, my maximum weight for a bass is just over 8 1/2-9lbs. Anything even slightly heavier causes me real issues. To make matters worse, I developed an abscess, so had to have a bloody drain fitted for three weeks. It was taken out yesterday and the only thing I can imagine feels remotely close is being let out of prison!

Anyway, this Stingray Special weighs in a just under 8 1/2lbs and is virtually mint, having been used sparingly by its previous owner. After a quick play it was a done deal. These are retailing at something like £2,800 now (if you can find one) which is (to me) insane. 

I did p/x some bits, so it wasn't all one way traffic I hasten to add. It's not an excuse, promise. I guess you can say I'm well and truly out though!

55FAE1B9-B4DD-4B66-BAC3-2DE0990DCCE0.jpeg

B857FE89-F3C5-464C-B2DB-44A734C959B8.jpeg

Bum. I wanted to try this one too. Lovely. Congrats. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BreadBin said:

14 days, not bad John 👍

I’m working on the premise that I’m “preparing” for 2023 abstinence Brendon. 
Plus my market place subscription came out automatically this week, so it’s @ped fault that I am forced into selling and buying through his coercive behaviour. 

It all makes sense to me brother. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Silvia Bluejay changed the title to Gear abstinence thread
  • bassfan changed the title to 2022 Gear abstinence thread