Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on buying a new amp please.

Raslee

Well it's that time to get your popcorn out and ride into subjective city with the cries for 'try before you buy ' yada, yada......my apologies but it's really one of those threads 🤣

Bass amps -what to get?

A new one is going to be on the cards within the next 2 months or so with my saved musical funds and 90% wanting to buy new for the warranty. At present I play a bit of an eclectic mix of prog, folk, some  modern blues/funk, and likely to be some good old school ska and rocksteady reggae in the new year, i also dep some soul and rock bands on occasion. My current rig is a Markbass LM800 with a MB 2x10 and 1x15". The LM800 is a bit high mileaged, scratchy and some weird noises going on and I also have one of those Bugera BV tube heads which is also well used with a few odd random noises going on. I am thinking of getting something a bit different next so was initially drawn to the Markbass Vintage, never tired one -would really welcome any users views on these. Also the Blackstar unity 700 has just come on my radar, looks a really versatile bit of kit and would welcome any thoughts around these sound wise . The Aguilar TH500 has always intrigued me to and did try one briefly some years back but can't remember a lot about it now. I've also wondered about these new names to me Eich, Tech 21,TecAmp etc too - any views/advice?

For reference past favourites have been the Eden WT series, Orange Terror amps and i had a Genzler magellan for a while which was nice, also had a Carvin BX which i remember was super versatile. Fancy something different though now. 

So any view on the above, gladly welcome, and yes i've done Google, TB and Youtube etc, still no particular favourites stand out -perhaps the Blackstar a bit. Are there any others i should consider out there??..., if you've read this far, Merry Christmas and thanks for any thoughts, advice etc...otherwise enjoy the popcorn :D 

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1

• Raslee changed the title to Thoughts on buying a new amp please.
7 hours ago, Bunion said:

Try a power amp separate preamp setup you can pick preamps up reasonably priced, be they rack mount or pedal based and the options are huge for trying different sounds and manufacturers. 

Interesting idea, never really thought about this. 

I would first think whether you want a clean sound to colour over with effects/pedals, or to the contrary get a ‘coloured’ amp. 

if you get a coloured amp and add pedals and distortions etc to it it may happen that you find it too overcoloured so to speak. 

my take, and going to the point, if you want a coloured amp, Aguilar has great quality. Also Darkglass comes with an awful lot of options and bells and whistles. (I’m selling the newest one/sold out in warranty but that’s another talk I guess 😉). 

if you want a solid canvas, clean with lots of headroom… Eich T500 should do you well. I got the T900 again just a couple days ago and it’s my reference for that kind of sound. 

Best,

Ander. 

Edited by Ander87
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

I'd stick the Genzler Magellan on your list. I had and lived the smaller version (sold due to lockdown, but top of my list once gigging again) and your budget will cover the 800w version. Will be great with all the styles you mentioned.

Yeah, great amps - I had one at one point. Really like it, but have got that GAS itch to try something different (probably to end up foolishly selling to buy a Magellan again at some point 😂).

• Haha 1

On 27/12/2021 at 09:26, Bunion said:

Try a power amp separate preamp setup you can pick preamps up reasonably priced, be they rack mount or pedal based and the options are huge for trying different sounds and manufacturers. 

That would be my recommendation.

Some pre-amps have some neat tricks up their sleeves that heads and combos don't feature.

I've an Ampeg SVP-PRO- basically an SVT II without a power stage- all valve, with all that it entails. 

I also own a Peavey Max Bass pre, which has a valve and SS gain stage, each with it's own EQ, gain and output. Ok, its variable crossover is arguably overkill,  but it can be bypassed.

You can then feed the outputs to the power amp of your choice, and then whatever cab takes your fancy. 

The whole lot doesn't have to be excessively bulky- you could get down to a 1u pre and 1u power amp in a 2u case.

4 hours ago, Raslee said:

The Blackstar Unity is probably in pole position at the moment, good price too.  Anyone got any experience of these? Any negatives? 

I bought a unity after using one in a rehearsal room.

Great Tone, the built in chorus and octaver are a waste of space, and it needs a mute button.

I wanted to to save weight, so tried a lot of the class Ds. I had tried a couple of Phil Jones digitals,  A Mesa D800, A TC electronics, a fender Rumble 800 and didnt really like any of them.

Im not sure if the the Blackstar is a class D as its heavier than some of the others, but still quite light. Sounds Great.

Nearly forgot. The Bassman 800 which is a valve preaamp and a class d power amp sounds great.

• Thanks 1

You really need to try stuff out. Reviews and recommendations are useful - they help give an idea of what to put on the shortlist - but I wouldn't buy on that basis alone. That's a shortcut to disappointment (and one reason the Marketplace is full of nearly new, good quality gear being sold on because it didn't meet the buyer's expectations or needs). A couple of years ago, I spent the best part of a day at a well known bass shop trying things and came away with an amp I hadn't seriously considered because I found it worked best for me. I'm still happy with it. Given the amount of money you're thinking of spending, it's worth taking a day (and travelling if necessary) to try stuff. I'm glad I did. 

• Thanks 1

Ashdown ABM600? Valve Pre and always sounds amazing. I have one, in fact I have had 3! Always chasing something better and it always comes back to this. Its just excellent, sounds great, not heavy and the back up support from @Ashdown Engineeringis just epic! Im sure you could pick up a new one around the £700 mark, or a second hand for a little cheaper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2021 at 16:49, Lozz196 said:

+1 - used they go for about £400 and worth every penny imo.

On 29/12/2021 at 16:50, BassAdder27 said:

Another vote for the ABM600 

On 29/12/2021 at 16:09, walshy said:

Ashdown ABM600? Valve Pre and always sounds amazing. I have one, in fact I have had 3! Always chasing something better and it always comes back to this. Its just excellent, sounds great, not heavy and the back up support from @Ashdown Engineeringis just epic! Im sure you could pick up a new one around the £700 mark, or a second hand for a little cheaper. 

I’m getting intrigued about these so will do some more research. I take it these aren’t class D? Are they heavy to carry? Just wondering how it would go with my Markbass cabs.