Why become a member? ×

Five string shoot out - Sadowsky vs Spector

Bilbo

Sadowsky MetroExpress 21-5 Vin Mo SGMP or Spector Legend Classic 5 WB

I need a five string and these two are in my budget (around £700). I have looked at online demos and tried to find some reviews but wondered if anyone had anything to say that could help to convince me either way. If there are any alternative products that anyone can add to the discussion, feel free to do so.

I have posted elsewhere on here how pleased with my Chinese Metro Express, echoing @Bass Agent’s great review. 

I had to file a couple of fret ends and give it a bit of a setup, but no more than I’d normally do on a new bass. It’s been gigged a few times, I’ve recorded 5 out of 6 tracks at a recent studio session and it is rapidly becoming my go to 5589D6E4-4AAC-4E70-AD57-EE6FA5D8485E.thumb.jpeg.ddb504a6a8ba76dd9a4282bde1efe106.jpeg

B51B11EF-402B-45F3-BF22-28F13BEEFE80.jpeg

AB924F80-FCB2-4D74-8890-FFC745CA8FE1.jpeg

Edited by lonestar
  • Like 1

These basses will sound very different…is the sound in your head more of a single coil or a humbucker vibe?

Also, both have 2 band EQs and no passive tone controls - presumably you’re fine with that?

Personally I’d get down to BassDirect and try both basses in person.

Spector for me 100%, I don't get on with jazzes.

What music are you planning to play, do you prefer slim or beefy necks, is weight a factor etc.etc.etc. Give us something to go on.

Shootout is when YOU compare items and present us with the results.

I love Spector. I had an NS2 which I adored. I've never played a bad one, at any price, and ergonomically so nice to play.

Sadowsky, I must be one of the minority who wasn't keen. I had a UV4 (??) Jazz that I was underwhelmed by and moved it on. Tonally it wasn't my bag.

As previously mentioned, Yamaha BB, and definitely Sire V9 is worth a look. 

17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I am veering towards the Sadowsky because of the demos I have heard but the Spector is such a 'looker'. Call me shallow 🤣

I've been a bit disappointed in the sound of the lower priced Spector 5 strings, the pickups just seem a bit weak to me.  

18 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

String spacing would be the first thing I would consider. I've owned three Stingray 5's, one I bought in 1987 a year after they came out. I like wider spacing, so the Stingrays got sold in short order. Never to be.

Same here. I've had a couple of SR5s but couldn't get on with the string spacing, or in particular the way the top string feels like its almost falling off the fretboard. They do sound great though... 

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Yamaha BB435 might be worth a look, or a BB735 if you can find a used one.

I’d strongly recommend checking out a Yamaha BB735a. Very well made and great pickups/preamp combo. Obviously quite different from both the Spector and the Sadowsky you were looking at @Bilbo, but definitely worth a look nonetheless.

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I've been a bit disappointed in the sound of the lower priced Spector 5 strings, the pickups just seem a bit weak to me.  

Same here. I've had a couple of SR5s but couldn't get on with the string spacing, or in particular the way the top string feels like its almost falling off the fretboard. They do sound great though... 

I tried a Spector 5 in 1998 at the Wembley Music Fair. As I was playing it the G kept slipping off the board, there's not enough room on that board for me. I don't know if things have changed. I don't mind precise fretting but that spacing felt too unforgiving.

I like different right-hand techniques, I like to have the space for that.

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I have a SpectorSpectorcore 5 (which is for sale on here) which comes from the same factory as the Legend. Absolutely excellent, only selling mine as I’ve switched to EUB.

Looks great, Graham, but I am specifically NOT looking for a fretless. 

Don't you wish you had enough money and space for ALL basses 😄