Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato Celebrating the 90s Grunge Bands

Eldon Tyrell

6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'd definitely join a band that was mixing up Grunge era stuff proper (including not quite grunge but kinda grungy stuff e.g. STP and Filter) and post punk. But not if it included hand-me-down, grunge-lite pap by US bands and Bush that mercifully didn't infect the UK.

Bush were terrible. British but most of there success was in the US. 

Proper grunge with some White Zombie, Kyuss, Helmet, Rollins Band and maybe some punk.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 18:11, MacDaddy said:

Diminishing returns were affecting the hair metal scene from after the mid 80s. Few hair metal bands (or those who got lumped into the scene) who released their first album after 1987, had a more successful album. Extreme are the only exception I can think of.

Although Extreme never were hair metal, and always distanced themselves from that moniker.  I believe "funk-rock" was the favoured tagline at the time, and I guess I can dig that.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/extreme-the-rollercoaster-story-of-hair-metal-s-funk-brothers

As an aside, saw them at the NEC and Bettencourt was staggeringly good live.

Edited by Bassfinger
Was putting the funk out

33 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

There was nothing metal about hair metal!

Good point. 

I remember bands like Guns N Roses, Motley Crue and Def Leopard being referred to as metal at the time though. Our local shop used to have their records in the same section as Slayer and Anthrax.

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Motley Crue and Def Leopard

Motley and Leppard WERE metal at the time. Obviously as more extreme forms of metal came about the older metal was looked on with ridicule and derision. I remember On Through the night coming out and to an impressionable teenager it was excellent heavy metal. Heavy metal was the name at the time. It has changed to metal with the advent of all these other sub genres.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

Although Extreme never were hair metal, and always distanced themselves from that moniker.  I believe "funk-rock" was the favoured tagline at the time, and I guess I can dig that.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/extreme-the-rollercoaster-story-of-hair-metal-s-funk-brothers

As an aside, saw them at the NEC and Bettencourt was staggeringly good live.

"(or those who got lumped into the scene)"

12 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Bush were terrible. British but most of there success was in the US. 

Proper grunge with some White Zombie, Kyuss, Helmet, Rollins Band and maybe some punk.

Yep I like me some Kyuss and White Zombie. Be fun to do More Human than Human. Bush were/are 'kin awful and very glad the yanks kept them over there. IMO the Grunge period was the first, best and last era for quality rock from the US.  Definitely throw in some punk, esp a bit of Dead Kennedys

• Like 1

I was never a fan of all the different names that music gets given. Especially when arguments occur as to which genre a band belongs to. It's music. Do you like it? Yes? Well that's fine. I can listen to pretty much any kind of music but my heart is always  with hard rock. Any music with big guitars gets my attention so if they are considered metal or hair metal or glam metal I don't care. I love old hard rock, I love new metal.

In the 80's all that was about for heavy metal fans was Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc. etc. That is what we called Heavy Metal. It was during the 80's that other more extreme bands started to develop and the Grunge movement spawned from this.

Edited by ubit

14 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yep I like me some Kyuss and White Zombie. 

Thunderkiss 1965 by White Zombie and Gardenia by Kyuss are my two favourite covers to play. 

Gardenia is such a simple riff but there's just so many fills in there that it's fun and I think it would be impossible to play it the same twice. I can never remember all the variations of the fills so just improvise. 

18 minutes ago, ubit said:

I was never a fan of all the different names that music gets given. Especially when arguments occur as to which genre a band belongs to. It's music. Do you like it? Yes? Well that's fine. I can listen to pretty much any kind of music but my heart is always  with hard rock. Any music with big guitars gets my attention so if they are considered metal or hair metal or glam metal I don't care. I love old hard rock, I love new metal.

In the 80's all that was about for heavy metal fans was Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc. etc. That is what we called Heavy Metal. It was during the 80's that other more extreme bands started to develop and the Grunge movement spawned from this.

Hmm IMO having broader categories does help, esp when you're in HMV etc looking for such n' such but having sub-sub-sub genres like mathcore is getting silly. 

Sub genres are useful when looking for something new to listen to. As an example, if I want to find something similar to Kyuss, I can search for stoner metal and know I'll most likely get a similar wall of heavily distorted, low tuned guitars playing blues based heavy music. 

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hmm IMO having broader categories does help, esp when you're in HMV etc looking for such n' such but having sub-sub-sub genres like mathcore is getting silly. 

I know what you mean to a certain degree. I mean you have to have some form of telling music apart but its the myriad of sub genres that get me irked. I mean it gets ridiculous.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/141030/

Edit-I can find someone out of each of these subgenres that I like. In short I like it all.

Edited by ubit

When the genre is describing the music, fine, it can be useful. Death metal tells you a lot about what you're about to hear. Nice. Hair Metal is cretinous term - probably conceived by some snotty intern at Kerrang during that time when they realised metal wasn't cool anymore, went to great efforts to distance themselves from being seen as a metal mag and lamely tried to poke fun at that which made them - as it retrospectively groups bands based on how much hairspray they used in an attempt to belittle them, rather than any recognition of the nuances of the music they played. It's a derogatory aesthetic description, not a musical one. Most of those lumped in were considered hard rock at the time, alternatively known as glam rock, but never metal. Lazy 21st Century journalism at its finest.

Just like with all the bands currently labelled as thrash who didn't and still don't play thrash music, there is much to be missed about when journalists used to get paid and made an effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I know what you mean to a certain degree. I mean you have to have some form of telling music apart but its the myriad of sub genres that get me irked. I mean it gets ridiculous.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/141030/

Edit-I can find someone out of each of these subgenres that I like. In short I like it all.

Seems to me metal is possibly the worst for having so many ridiculous subgenres although electronica comes pretty close. That said, electronica is my go to listening 80% of the time and there's a big difference between say downtempo stuff which is for kicking back to and trance and House which are about the dancefloor.

Edited by Barking Spiders

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...