Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato Celebrating the 90s Grunge Bands

Eldon Tyrell

2 hours ago, Maude said:

but where does punk end and grunge start? 

It's a bit of a blurred line. I think some of the late 80's Black Flag was almost grunge and some of the very early Mudhoney and Nirvana were punk. I've always considered Bleach by Nirvana to be a punk record.

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

It's a bit of a blurred line. I think some of the late 80's Black Flag was almost grunge and some of the very early Mudhoney and Nirvana were punk. I've always considered Bleach by Nirvana to be a punk record.

In the words of D. Boon, punk is whatever we made it to be.

IMO, all the best bands think they're punk bands, whatever section they get put in at the record shop.

25 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

IMO, all the best bands think they're punk bands, whatever section they get put in at the record shop.

The exception would be Idles who are absolutely brilliant and constantly denying being punk in interviews. They definitely are punk though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vin Venal said:

whatever section they get put in at the record shop.

And that, frankly, is that. 

It all ended up in ‘Rock & Pop’ way back when. Anything over and above is prejorative. 

Except STP. They weren’t (and aren’t) grunge. 🤣

Edited by mr4stringz

Lots of bands got lumped in to 'grunge'. Almost any slightly heavy rock band that wore dirty jeans and check shirts were grunge. One of my favourite bands, Blind Melon, get classified as grunge on some lists. Then again, Janes Addiction are grunge according to some. I don't think so. (Neither are STP)

It was the last interesting wave of music for me, perhaps that's my age. It was miles better than Britpop, which was abysmal dross. What irritated me about Britpop was its unfounded confidence and arrogance. The singer from Franz Ferdinand said that Britpop connected better with British audiences than a check shirted rocker from Seatle, utter drivel. 

I've just listened to Pearl Jam Vs, a cracking album  no doubt.

Edited by Marvin

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Lots of bands got lumped in to 'grunge'. Almost any slightly heavy rock band that wore dirty jeans and check shirts were grunge. One of my favourite bands, Blind Melon, get classified as grunge on some lists. Then again, Janes Addiction are grunge according to some. I don't think so. (Neither are STP)

It was the last interesting wave of music for me, perhaps that's my age. It was miles better than Britpop, which was abysmal dross. What irritated me about Britpop was its unfounded confidence and arrogance. The singer from Franz Ferdinand said that Britpop connected better with British audiences than a check shirted rocker from Seatle, utter drivel. 

Just my opinion, but I see Grunge as a branch of punk rock, and I think it has in common with punk rock (after 1977) the fact that it is musically diverse. In fact, like punk, I think its a subculture, and a certain grouping of ethics and aesthetics, rather than a genre of music strictly speaking.

Thus you end up with post-hardcore/noise rock influenced sounds and sleazy 70s rock n' roll/garage rock sounds getting classified as grunge. In the same way, Madball and The Jam are both punk bands, but couldn't sound much more different.

On 27/12/2021 at 18:05, SteveXFR said:

Corgan has become 100% ego.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins at Glastonbury a few years ago and they were so average that the only thing I remember was that Corgans shirt was too small and his belly was stuck out the bottom.

Much how I looked at the bar!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Thus you end up with post-hardcore/noise rock influenced sounds and sleazy 70s rock n' roll/garage rock sounds getting classified as grunge. In the same way, Madball and The Jam are both punk bands, but couldn't sound much more different.

I've always seen New York hardcore as a completely separate genre to British punk because its so completely different. 

Were The Jam even a punk band? I thought they were new wave / pop.

Maybe it would be simpler to just categorise music as good music or bad music. 

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 2

"Curtis believes that political individualism as espoused by Margaret Thatcher and implemented though her neoliberal policies is part of the same wider cultural shift as the individualism that punk rock embodied. The privileging of the individual over the community has, he says, had the unintended consequence of atomizing the world to the extent that today “everything is acceptable and everything is ubiquitous”.

“Punks don’t like to hear it but they and Mrs. Thatcher were both on the coattails of something bigger, which was the rise of individualism where we could be whatever we wanted to be,” he explains. “The Sex Pistols’ song ‘I Wanna Be Me’ came at the same time as a speech by Mrs. Thatcher that had pretty much the same message."

Adam Curtis.

He's quite right of course, not a single 'punk' I've met even knew what the definition of Anarchy was...

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

"Curtis believes that political individualism as espoused by Margaret Thatcher and implemented though her neoliberal policies is part of the same wider cultural shift as the individualism that punk rock embodied. The privileging of the individual over the community has, he says, had the unintended consequence of atomizing the world to the extent that today “everything is acceptable and everything is ubiquitous”.

“Punks don’t like to hear it but they and Mrs. Thatcher were both on the coattails of something bigger, which was the rise of individualism where we could be whatever we wanted to be,” he explains. “The Sex Pistols’ song ‘I Wanna Be Me’ came at the same time as a speech by Mrs. Thatcher that had pretty much the same message."

Adam Curtis.

He's quite right of course, not a single 'punk' I've met even knew what the definition of Anarchy was...

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Just out of curiosity, have all the punks you've met (and asked to define anarchy for some reason), been really old?

Just that I've been in and around the punk scene on and off since the late 90s, and it's always seemed to be filled with wonderfully politically aware, community minded, conscientious people. 

Except for the fash, but they're in every scene sadly. Like a plague. None less so than metal.

It just strikes me that your experiences might have been predominantly with jaded boomer punks, who maybe once had a mohecan in the early 80s, but like you, have no real familiarity with what punk has meant to multiple generations active in the scene over the 4 decades since...

Edited by Vin Venal

3 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

It might be me, cuz I'm pretty high rn, ngl, but I think that song is about how boomer punks are Richards, so flip them lets make a new scene, type of sentiment.

Maybe hold off posting till you settle down because you seems to be mistaking punk for pop.

Anyhow I watched the first 35 minutes of the vid and is Beato going to say anything with any meaning at all?  He's not adding much to the snippets of music he's playing so far.

On 30/12/2021 at 23:30, Marvin said:

What an album Soup is!

As for Grunge, I was a teen around then. All the main bands sounded different. There wasn't really a main grunge sound. I think GNR paved the way for it all regarding the death of hair metal.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Me too! I don't think there's enough bands to go round 😕

There isn't. I've been looking for a while now. Lots of people wanting to start bands but they all seem to want to play pop punk.

I'd be quite happy playing a good mix of grunge and 90's alternative. 

11 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

There isn't. I've been looking for a while now. Lots of people wanting to start bands but they all seem to want to play pop punk.

I'd be quite happy playing a good mix of grunge and 90's 

Maybe one of us ought to learn guitar 😕

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd be quite happy playing a good mix of grunge and 90's alternative. 

I'd definitely join a band that was mixing up Grunge era stuff proper (including not quite grunge but kinda grungy stuff e.g. STP and Filter) and post punk. But not if it included hand-me-down, grunge-lite pap by US bands and Bush that mercifully didn't infect the UK.

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

Everyone and their mum plays guitar. Drums are what you need to learn. 

My mum doesn't but some of my cousins' mum does. She patiently tried to teach me when I was 11 but I was a bored pupil that was more interested in hitting things, whether in the boxing ring or whatever made a great sound. So what you says resonates with me🙃

• Like 1