Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato Celebrating the 90s Grunge Bands

Eldon Tyrell

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Huuuuge fan of the grunge era me. I watch a lot of RB vids. He did overlook Stone Temple Pilots for this one which is a tad odd as he's put up a couple of their tunes for his 'why this song is great' series.

Agree, big STP fan too. I think to remember that he started playing one of their songs but then moved on to something else.  

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Best STP album? 

Either Core or Purple. Both are pretty good.

For me Grunge was the end of hair metal which had just become a parody of itself.  Grunge brought back the punk energy and mixed it with some dirty rock. It was the last great musical revolution and I'm not convinced we'll get another one.

I'll make sure I watch this.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

For me Grunge was the end of hair metal which had just become a parody of itself.  Grunge brought back the punk energy and mixed it with some dirty rock. It was the last great musical revolution and I'm not convinced we'll get another one.

Literally this

11 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

STP were lumped in with the grunge bands but I never thought they were really a part of it. Sort of like cousins of grunge, guilty by association or more likely there was no other "scene" to put them in with.

Core ftw, though.

I thought the same about Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. Having said that, Pearl Jams Vurses album was grunge and absolutely superb 

Smashing Pumpkins had one great album and lived off that success for 25 years.

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Nah, Corgan has spent his life purposely antagonising people who like his music 😂

Corgan has become 100% ego.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins at Glastonbury a few years ago and they were so average that the only thing I remember was that Corgans shirt was too small and his belly was stuck out the bottom.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Either Core or Purple. Both are pretty good.

Noone ever says Nu metal, or pop punk ended hair metal, it's always Gunge that gets blamed.

Diminishing returns were affecting the hair metal scene from after the mid 80s. Few hair metal bands (or those who got lumped into the scene) who released their first album after 1987, had a more successful album. Extreme are the only exception I can think of.

I never 'got' Gunge, it just seemed like a lack of effort both visually and musically. The most interesting bands to me, like Pantera and Alice in Chains, had been part of the hair metal scene before.

5 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Corgan has become 100% ego.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins at Glastonbury a few years ago and they were so average that the only thing I remember was that Corgans shirt was too small and his belly was stuck out the bottom.

He has always been 100% ego, that's what's so much fun about him. He's absolutely compulsive about he does and will usually choose the path which means alienation and commercial suicide if he believes it's the right thing to do. He can be incredibly frustrating but also great craic to follow 😁

As an aside, good to see Beato highlighting Jimmy Chamberlin there. Unreal drummer.

45 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

STP were lumped in with the grunge bands but I never thought they were really a part of it. Sort of like cousins of grunge, guilty by association or more likely there was no other "scene" to put them in with.

Core ftw, though.

Agree, STP are extremely versatile and several of Rob DeLeos's basslines are among my fav to play. Plush for example has several interesting sections and is a joy to play. 

• Like 1

Best STP album? Core or Purple for me too. Core is majorly grungy but Purple is only in patches.  As for Smashing Pumpkins, Gish and Siamese Dream fit in with the Seattle bands but less so Melon Collie onwards. You used to hear all bands denying they were part of the scene. The grunge bands may've not had much in common musically but like punk, grunge was more about a reaction against what came before and an attitude. It was the last significant music movement if you don't count godawful nu-metal. Although one or two bands - e.g. SOAD - stood apart from the pack 99% of the stuff that stayed over in the US is woeful.  Mind you, it was still better than Britpop.

10 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

The most interesting bands to me, like Pantera and Alice in Chains, had been part of the hair metal scene before.

Alice in Chains were never part of the hair metal scene. That was Alice N' Chains, a different band (but with Layne as lead singer).

15 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

He has always been 100% ego, that's what's so much fun about him. He's absolutely compulsive about he does and will usually choose the path which means alienation and commercial suicide if he believes it's the right thing to do. He can be incredibly frustrating but also great craic to follow 😁

As an aside, good to see Beato highlighting Jimmy Chamberlin there. Unreal drummer.

I liked the first three SP records. They lost me with Adore. Although, I saw them live in 98, with Kenny Aronoff instead of Jimmy Chamberlin, and the songs sounded much better than on record.

Jimmy is definitely a great drummer, probably one of the best in the rock scene.  

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Best STP album? Core or Purple for me too. Core is majorly grungy but Purple is only in patches.  As for Smashing Pumpkins, Gish and Siamese Dream fit in with the Seattle bands but less so Melon Collie onwards. You used to hear all bands denying they were part of the scene. The grunge bands may've not had much in common musically but like punk, grunge was more about a reaction against what came before and an attitude. It was the last significant music movement if you don't count godawful nu-metal. Although one or two bands - e.g. SOAD - stood apart from the pack 99% of the stuff that stayed over in the US is woeful.  Mind you, it was still better than Britpop.

Nu metal was terrible in general but as you mentioned, SOAD were excellent and Daron Malakian is still releasing music which is like modern SOAD and is excellent. Deftones were another very good nu-metal survivor although I don't see anything they made after White Pony as being nu-metal. Not all nu-metal was as bad as Crazy Town or Trapt. Even Limp Bizkit made one acceptable album (their first).

Same in Britpop. There's some very good bands still going from that scene. Suede, Supergrass, Charletons and Placebo were all britpop, all still going and all excellent. 

We are overdue a big new revolution in music but I'm not sure it'll happen now that music scenes don't really exist anymore. There's no more metal clubs, no one goes to night clubs, even raves are just a handful of hippies with some pills playing early 90's music

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

We are overdue a big new revolution in music but I'm not sure it'll happen now that music scenes don't really exist anymore. There's no more metal clubs, no one goes to night clubs, even raves are just a handful of hippies with some pills playing early 90's music

I agree but I have some hope that rock will have a comeback, thanks to kids like Nandi (performing here with the Foo Fighters)

and bands like "The Warning" (three sisters, two are still teenagers, I think). The bass player (Ale) is probably having a Spector signature bass next year. They already gave her a cool custom bass.

They have already released two albums and are working on their third. Here's my fav song from their latest EP. They normally sing in English but this one is in Spanish (the band is from Mexico):

• Like 1